[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Another Nelson Mandela Portrait Finished
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Another Nelson Mandela Portrait Finished

Moderator: duey

<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:49 am

Another Nelson Mandela Portrait Finished

Hi Guys,

A couple of months ago I did a portrait of our Ex President and Global Icon Nelson Mandela. Well I sold that drawing after exhibiting it for about R7000 (about $900).
This was that drawing...

Well I've now started another one due to the response of that first one. This one is a bit different in that I think he's a bit younger and the shading is going to be quite a bit darker. It's again on the same A2 sketch pad I used for the previous drawing which is Heavy Duty 200gsm paper.
Heres the start of it...quite a rough textured paper. Probably been 3 or 4 hours into it so far...

Let me know what you think, and will update it asap.

Thanks
Adrian
Last edited by adrianwells on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Another Nelson Mandela WIP

A very promising start, i am looking forward to the process. :)
<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:11 am

Done a bit more...starting to look like Nelson Mandela now...

<<

Tanner05

Addicted
Addicted

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:42 am

Beautiful beginning, can't wait to see it finished.
<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:07 am

A bit more added...always enjoy doing ties and getting them to look realistic...

<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Looks very good, especially the tie. :) How many hours are you working on it by now?
<<

stanya

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:33 am

Like the eyes,,looks very real,,nice work so far
Oh maybe I'll build my house on your cloud
Here I'm tumbling for you
Stumbling through the work that I have to do
Don't mean to harm you
<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:56 pm

<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:57 pm

<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Did quite a bit this weekend...probly been about 30 hours so far...

<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:07 am

Re: Another Nelson Mandela Portrait Finished

Finally completed. It took approximately 35 hours.

<<

pillharrier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:44 am

Adrian

You have a beautiful style that shines through even if the reference lacks finite details. Both of these portraits are sublime.

I'm so impressed that you managed to sell the first for that price. Well done.

A few questions - Where did you source the reference photos? Are they just from the internet? Did you need to consider copyright? This is always at the back of my mind if I work from a photo I found on the net.

Did you ask for that price or did you invite offers??

How many hours would you typically do in any one session when working on a piece?

Thanks in advance,

Regards.
Mark
http://pillharrier.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/markeversonpencilart
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:36 am

Not sure the left-hand highlights work..too much contrast..just my opinion Adrian,nonetheless,a superb piece of Artwork =D>
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:02 am

<<

pillharrier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks for the answers Adrian. Interesting food for thought. I also typically do 1-2 hours per session, but a piece takes me 80hours or so.
http://pillharrier.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/markeversonpencilart

Return to Drawings