[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - My "Portfolio"
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

My "Portfolio"

Moderator: duey

<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:28 am

My "Portfolio"

I am 23 years old. I have always liked to draw but I have never found myself any good at it. I recently switched positions in my job and met my new "manager" and it turns out that he and I are both into the same type of hobbies. When it came to his art work I was just amazed by the stuff he had done. He let me borrow this book that he had used when he was younger. I have started using it a couple weeks ago. I will say that although I am not that great it still has helped me improve a lot. The book is called drawing on the right side of the brain. Now I know that I have improved a lot from when I have actually started I still feel that I am having problems with keeping my left brain quiet, or maybe im impatient or something is stoping me from getting to my full potential. (so I am assuming.) I am aware I still have a lot of practicing to go and I still need to finish the rest of the book I am borrowing. I joined an art forum so people can see my drawings and give me words of advice to getting better or what I can do to improve. I also joined to look at other peoples work and see what all is out there. I am looking forward to speaking with many people on this site.
If they wouldn't of done......what I told em not to do, they'd still be alive.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: My "Portfolio"

Great opening speech,welcome,first rule of drawing...double check everything. 'Portfolio' #-o :D :D
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Jonathan Ortiz

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:39 pm

Welcome!

Here you''ll find a lot of tips to improve your drawing skills.
<<

Plissken

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:24 pm

I will help you with my tips also.
See my drawings and digital paintings now!!!

Or else, drunk Mel Gibson will come to your house and beat you up!
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:23 am

Hey guys thanks a lot. The tips and inspiration will help a lot. It will also be fun looking at everyone elses work.
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:30 am

I am reading this book. Its called "Drawing on the Right side of the Brain." I started this book about 2 weeks ago or so and I have seen a good amount of improvement since I have started. Though this book is helping me a lot I still have a long way to go. I am about half way through the book right now completing the various exercises it has to help me switch to the mode of the right side of the brain.

This is the first picture I will post, but not the first exercise completed. I chose to put this one up first however because this is where I really started to show improvement. The exercise is to take a line drawing picture, turn it upside down and draw it on your paper like that. What it is suppose to do (I feel it works) is confuse your left side of your brain to help you the right side take over. This is how it came out.

<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:36 am

This is the second image in which I used the upside down line drawing exercise. I feel that it definitely shows improvement.

<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:39 am

This is my third picture I drew copying a line drawing that I fliped upside down. This is definitely my best and I was really feeling the "Right Mode" when I was drawing this. It can be quite hard getting back into the mode some times.

<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:43 am

WIth this picture I that I drew I took a photo from my wedding and flipped it upside down. It is a bit harder to do when it is not a line drawing that you are copying from, but I really like the out come of this picture.

<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:57 am

The next exercise from the book was contour line drawing. The exercise said you had to twist your body away from where it is you are drawing your picture, look at your hand and draw the contour lines you see with out looking back at your paper. This exercise has helped me to see contour lines a lot, but now I say that hands are my greatest enemy when drawing. I also figured out that I would like to make some of my pictures try to take up my entire piece of paper. So what I would do is give something a bigger line then it was suppose to be to try and compensate. This was not working so when I stoped doing it things started looking better.

First hand:

Second hand: with this one I do believe I was able to look at my hand but still wanted 90% of my focus just looking at my hand. The only reason to look at the image I was drawing was to look at the angels of each line. Now this one may seem like I tried to compensate for size of hand onto my piece of paper, but really hands are just my enemy.

Third Hand: Now for this one it may seem like I was trying to compensate, but really I don't know how the palm of my hand got so big. It is kinda like in the second hand picture. Hands are just my great enemy.

Fourth Hand: Inapropriate so I appolgise. This isn't at anyone. I just put my hand in a kinda tough to draw pose to try and make my brain work harder. Again I appoligise. I am posting it because it is part of my progress. :?

Fifth Hand: This hand is good, its just the digits are a little crazy.

Now I know I say hands are my greates enemy (and they are.) but I am quite proud of all thse because they are still so much better then what I use to be able (not be able) to do.
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:06 am

The next exercise after that is NEGATIVE SPACES. Drawing the Negative Spaces around the positive form to help lay out your drawing. With these drawings I had to use a "View Finder". I have done a lot of these ranging from Chairs to a picture of my buddy and I standing together. Again I know I need a lot of improvement, but I am still very happy with the way each one came out. With some of these I did try to compensate for the size of my paper. When I first used the View Finder I was able to put the chair using my entire page that I was drawing it on. After that I was unable. It may have to do with the fact that I am trying to cheat a little. What I did with a few of the pictures is I took a picture of what I was drawing through the View Finder on my phone and it may have just made it smaller. I dont know. Here they are.

<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:10 am

These next drawings are from using an exercise in the book where you use your pencil to measure vertical and horizontal angles of each line to make your picture look 3D. I don't think I am quite getting the concept of this one, and if I am then I don't know how I am doing it. When I am looking at the angels it kinda seems like my pencil is having a hard time drawing the lines I see.

This is the last exercise in the book I have completed. I haven't been moving forward in the book because the next exercise is kinda wierd so I have just been going to the previous exercises to get better. Will keep posting. Thanks for taking your time to look at my work.
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:52 am

Drawing on the Right side of the Brain by Betty Edwards. That was my text book when I was in commercial art class in 1986 the exercises help you to make the shift to the right side of your brain and that when you draw you need too look at the shapes not what your drawing. To sum up the book draw it upside down if your having trouble its the fastest way to make the "Shift"
Are you shifting? or are you trying to hard? best way is to put some music on flip it upside down and your going to think this is foolish but think about something that pissed you off or day dream and before you know it you will be drawing because your not thinking about the drawing :) it works Only problem with the book is it doesn't show you how to any thing but sketch.If your trying to draw realistic thing or realism the learn how to grid its simple and you will still learn from it and understand the book better.
Feeling like a freak on a leash.
<<

Jonathan Ortiz

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:23 am

I used this book one year ago. It helped me a lot.
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Next

Return to Drawings