[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Remember When....
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Remember When....

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

JeffHarkins

Brand New Member

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:24 pm

Remember When....

Tell us your stories in Art class. The stories that stick out in your mind the most about your art class. It doesn’t matter if you are still in art class or haven’t been in an art class for over 40 years! Talk about projects that you did even if you didn’t like doing it. If you didn’t like doing the project then at least tell us why you didn’t like it. I will start it off with my story.

It was in Junior High. My teacher's name was Mr. Stiggy (Not completely sure about the spelling) and he was the best art teacher that I had, in my opinion. He got to know his students strength and weaknesses and kept them in mind when grading our projects that we did. Now I’m not saying he knew all of the student’s strengths and weaknesses memorized but enough to understand how well they worked on their artwork. For instance I am a perfectionist when it comes to art. So I would be erasing and drawing the same thing over and over again until I got it perfect. I am good at coping things what ever they may be, but in my mind it wasn’t good enough until it would look exactly like it did in the photo, or what ever the object was that I was drawing. So I was slow at drawing, but it usually turned out to be a good copy of it. Some objects were better than others and some were not so good, but over all my skill was good. It was at the end of the semester so it was the end of the class. We got into actual painting on a canvas. Well I took to long at drawing it before the class had ended so I got only about half of it drawn and painted. He graded it the way it was and didn’t give me a bad grade for it even though he could have done so. I was not the only one that was not finished, but the majority of the class finished. I got somewhere around a C to a B for a grade. Till this day I still can remember him and how much everyone liked him. Some didn’t but the majority of the students that he had over all could say that he was a good teacher.

If you wanted to know what I drew, it was the Greengoblin II (Harry) vs. Spiderman.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Remember When....

Unusual opening gambit jeff,memories of mine are very good.Was encouraged from a young age at Infant School (6) achieving a Mural on the School wall,entrance to the Assembly Hall no less.The picture was of a Dinosaur scene with a friend of mine.
Junior School was next,and another achievement with a Dragon picture,drawn with a left-handed ink-pen (old style curved nib).Once again posted by the Assembly Hall for all to see.
Finally, Senior School.Had a wonderful Art teacher for my final year.Had some of my Final Exam Coursework posted in various building throughout the complex.I wish i still had them. :D
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

ShawnaCT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:13 pm

Welcome and i like where this post is headed. :)
I had a art teacher in middle school .he was fresh from school himself and i'm pretty sure we were his first studants.
he had us do all kinds of fun stuff. i recall him setting up a grid drawing of a old convertable corvette. i remimber tryin to do it the "right way" and kept struggleing. so i drew the car. then did the grid overlay.
i also recall we did some slik screaning so we could make t shirt prints.
what stands out to me the most about this teacher was he was real with his students.
he had a paper machia(spelling) cat he made in college that sat above his desk. i asked if we as a class could make them. he said sadly no. he haddnt planned on makein them. but if i had "free time" in the class he would let me make one for my mom.
years latter she still has that silly thing and brags about it.
warms my heart non the less.
shawna
with my head firmly in the clouds, i let my pencils sing and dance.
live well, love much ,smile often
<<

Brendan

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:22 pm

My only art class was in grade 4. All I remember was making a pottery pencil cup and getting a "D" for my effort. :lol:
<<

ShawnaCT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:29 pm

and see its stuck with you all this time :wink:
with my head firmly in the clouds, i let my pencils sing and dance.
live well, love much ,smile often
<<

JeffHarkins

Brand New Member

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:09 pm

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:25 pm

I still have a pencil that somehow got left in my pocket from my final Art class c'76,and have used it recently. 8)
Yes predominantly left,but use both hands.
<<

zach97

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:31 pm

dont have any stories this year is my first year of art :D
my da
<<

JeffHarkins

Brand New Member

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:14 pm

<<

Mada.

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:46 pm

I remember when I was just around 5 years old and my father was drawing some characters from cartoons for me and my brother and I liked it so much to see how his hand was moving on the paper and since then I had a weakness for drawing. What I truly regret is that through all these years I haven't really exercised that much, maybe because of the art teachers I had in school. Only when I got to high school I had a teacher that read me like an open book and he started giving me advice in drawing and he brought me many of his sketches to try and imitate them. I did a pretty good job and in that period was when I started to show dedication in this field. I am really grateful to my dad and that teacher. :)
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light".
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:33 pm

<<

Mada.

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:54 am

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light".
<<

Helen

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:19 pm

I did a sculpture in 8th grade that started out to be my grandfather and ended up a cigar Indian. My art teacher liked it so much that he entered it in an art contest. I won first place and my sculpture went on a traveling display for a year... I never saw it again :cry:
<<

Helen

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:20 pm

Hey, where did my av go? WTF. I haven't been here in while but haven't changed anything.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:27 pm

Next

Return to Everything Else