Hi everyone!

Moderator: duey

<<

Helen

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Hi everyone!

I've been purusing these forums for a few months and finally decided to join. I'm a writer (investigative news reporter) and an art dabbler.
When I was in high school, I was quite the graphite and watercolor artist, winning several awards for my work. Writing is my first passion, so I chose that path for college and career. I got so wrapped in my work that I left the art behind. I picked it back up about a year ago, first with watercolor, and in recent weeks, graphite.

Wow! How much I have forgotten and how slowly it's returning. I actually struggle with graphite now. I remember when it all flowed so easily.

I bought myself some practice paper (Strathmore 400 series) and some Arches hot press. I got myself some Tombow pencils, Grafwoods and Prismacolor woodless. I have practiced and the shading/blending is coming along well for me, but the actual drawing ... argh! I have no problems with watercolor and paint brush but with pencil, it just doesn't seem to mesh for me.

So, here I am, with all my pencils and talent that I must have left behind in high school. Well, if it never comes together for me, at least I have some great pencils. I intend to keep practicing everyday and read all of your helpful advice.
<<

highland cowboy

Pro
Pro

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Hi everyone!

Hi, Helen.
Pleased to "meet" you.
The dark Grafwoods are excellent,but i have never tried the Prisma colour or even heard of Tombow.That's what i get for living in the backwoods.
I haven't drawn for 3 years and am finding it difficult to get back into it too.Keep plugging away.
Rich.
<<

Helen

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:57 pm

Oh thanks for responding to me. I thought I was all alone here. I really like the Grafwoods, especially the 9B. The Prismacolor is so-so and the Tombow's are nice. They are a higher-priced pencil and supposed to be the Winsor & Newton of pencils.

I see this forum has a lot of great information so hopefully I will learn a lot!!
<<

Brendan

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:23 am

This place can be very slow at times ... some people can handle it, while others can't !! :D
<<

Helen

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:15 pm

Well slow or not, it's nice to be here. I am learning a lot of helpful tips. It's a nice website.

Return to Welcome