[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Frustrating as hell!
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Frustrating as hell!

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

cordy

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:10 pm

Frustrating as hell!

Hello one and all,

Christmas is over, and it went by far too quickly! Its amazing, this year I hardly noticed it approaching and then BOOM its gone.

Anyway, those of you who know me or at least have followed my progress may have noticed that I am all over the place in regards to mediums and styles. I went from graphite to pastel to a combination of both.

Well, for Christmas I was gifted an easel!! Its like a wooden box with legs that you fold out, and then lift the lid and it becomes an easel with a compartment for paint and brushes. So I tried painting!! Just when you think your getting somewhere with art, you hit a brick wall at about 100mph.

I bought some Bristol Canvas paper and tried acrylics, but the acrylics i bought seem thick, and the brushes dont seem firm enough. No idea if I got the right stuff but I really thought I would catch on with painting nice and early. I suppose I cant judge myself after half an hour of work, but art really pisses me off sometimes.

I just want to be original, and feel justified in my originality. I see people who win prizes (the Turner Prize) and think, that is absoute shite! A sheep cut in half and stuck in formaldehyde!! WTF!!!

I honestly believe that those in the art world who judge some artworks do it on the basis of making themselves feel intelligent and elite. They justify a piece of crap with hidden meanings and subtle ironies which dont exist. You all must have seen some famous work of art and thought "My one-armed uncle with bad eyesight could do better than that!"

Some art is amazing, and i guess when you make it yourself, you can say what you want about it. I just hate the lingering critics who bullshit there way through an hours description of how that artist state of mind did this, or how that paint stroke meant that. Give me a break!

I am not usually this verbal, but im sat at work, a job I dont like, thinking about all the things I love to do, and the fact that I have to negotiate time in my life to do them. Ill be 40 in the blink of an eye at this rate (im 27 now), remembering when I had ambition and dreams, and content that that time has passed. I dont want that.

I wish for so many things, but right now I would settle with being happy with my artistic talent. And I am far from that.

Check out ThePortraitArt for amazing time lapse videos of charcoal portraits. I watched them and was awe-struck. I love the feeling art gives me when I see something come to life in front of my eyes.

If I ever make it famous, I wont forget people like us, who share freely, advise without charge, and listen to each other talk nonsense for no reason.

Thankyou for reading.

Cordy
<<

Mark

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:21 pm

good post! I agree with you about contemporary art that is out today that is just awful. But there are some really great artists out today who are the highest selling in the world. I get to visit alot of galleries here in NY and saw some amazing stuff at MOMA, the MET and New Museum. I get so angry at times studying art history when professors and "artists" think something is "genius" and deep down have no idea what they are talking about. Those type of people have the biggest egos in the world, and don't have much heart. You can't take them seriously or personally. I don't.
Don't get discouraged with paint either, its tough. I've painted many pictures with oil but still find is extremely difficult when starting something new. Its very similar to guitar or piano, just when you think you are good, you try to learn a new hendrix or muse song, and you realize you have alot of work to do!

Here are three artists out today who are among the highest selling. Its not about the money in any way, but its crazy to see how much some of these sell. Regardless, I think they are really great works.

Elizabeth Payton

John Currin

Lucian Freud....one of his works just sold for over $35million!
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:31 pm

I understand where you're coming from Cordy... sometimes art can be so uplifting, and sometimes it can feel like absolute B.S. and make you angry or frustrated. And I agree 100% about a lot of famous or commercial or successful art... sometimes, there is really nothing special about it at all.

Part of your rant reminded me of a personal experience I had. My uncle is an artist and he put on a show here in Sarnia, Ontario at the local art gallery. He painted about 30 paintings just for the show. The gallery that was hosting the show contacted an art critic from Toronto to view his works and write an article on them. Just for background information, my uncle paints scenes of rooms, chairs, couches, lamps, etc. in oil paints (see the link below for some of his work). He showed us the article (see link below) and asked what we thought about it. I said that I couldn't believe you could get so much analysis out of paintings of couches. He said he agreed completely... all of those things she said in her article were made up, he didn't intend any of these cunning and intricate meanings in his paintings. Here is his artistic statement: "Images of domestic comfort in my oil paintings are intended to lure the viewer into familiar environments either real or imagined. I am particularly inspired by discrepancies between mood and setting and the use of decoration as distraction." It's a lot simpler than the author of the article on his work suggests. Anyways, just thought I'd pass that on, it seems like things like this occur all the time in the art world, and I find it just as annoying as you do Cordy.

His paintings:
http://www.ianmclean.ca/gallery.asp

The Article:
http://www.ianmclean.ca/griffin.htm
Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

cordy

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:56 pm

you both nailed exactly how I am feeling. And that article is hillarious. I honestly think if I sat and wrote about a piece of art i created, then used the thesaurus to change my words into longer ones, people would somehow think it meant more.

Your right, its all about ego's. I can see these people sat at a bar with a party of friends. Arrogance upon there face, cigarette in fingers, just looking at people with contempt because they have convinced themselves they are better, brighter and brainier.

I should paint what I think of them, then create a pseudonym, and make up complete nonsense about how that work is better than sliced bread.
<<

Mark

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:52 pm

<<

Brendan

Post Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:53 pm

<<

Plissken

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:04 pm

See my drawings and digital paintings now!!!

Or else, drunk Mel Gibson will come to your house and beat you up!

Return to Everything Else