[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - i need a teensy bit of help
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

i need a teensy bit of help

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

QuackHoover

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:03 pm

i need a teensy bit of help

hello again
i havent really been around much, but i'm a little busy with school
which is what i need some help with
i'm doing an english assignment, and i have to compare a poem and a song

the poem i've chosen is 'Der Lattenzaun' by Christian Morgenstern
the verison i'm using is the english version 'The Pickett Fence'

for my assignment i need a bunch of other peoples interpretations of whet they think the poem is about. different ages and sexes and stuff
and i figured that here would be a good place to get some interesting interpretations

heres the poem:

One time there was a picket fence
with space to gze from hence to thence.

An architect who saw this sight
approached it suddenly one night,

removed the spaces from the fence,
and built from them a residence.

The picket fence stood there dumbfounded
with pickets wholly unsurrounded,

a view so loathsome and obscene,
the Senate had to intervene.

The Architect, however, flew
to Afri- or Americoo.

anyone who actually feels like replying to this, thankyou :)
Vacu-DUCK
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Here is the interpretation of a 21 year old caucasian, North American male:

In the first stanza you're introduced to a fence. Fences are typically used to divide two pieces of land or property, so it could be seen as a barrier. However, this fence has "space to gaze from hence to thence," so I believe the poet was trying to convey the sense that this fence is not really acting as a barrier, and that in fact there is nothing limiting or negative about it. The image in my mind is of a nicely painted white fence on a green hillside.

In the second stanza the reader is introduced to an architect, a person whose purpose is to design things. However, the first thing this architect does (in the third stanza) is take the fence apart. This seems like a bit of a contradiction... someone who's supposed to build things taking things apart. I believe this is similar to the fence, which is not acting like a typical fence.

The fourth stanza evokes a sense of sympathy for the fence in the reader. You get the sense that the fence was just sitting there, minding its own business, and it was helpless against the plans of the architect. This feeling is further compounded in the fifth stanza, where you learn that the fence had "a view so loathsome and obscene".

There is some justice done in the second half of the fifth stanza, where "the Senate had to intervene". This gives the reader a sense that the fence will be avenged, and the architect will be punished for his destruction of a helpless object.

The final stanza contradicts the fifth stanza, which brings the poem in a sense back to where it started (with a contradiction). The architect escapes punishment, which seems unjust since the governing body had determined that he should be punished.

My personal interpretation is that this poem represents the shortcomings of the justice system. Coming from an educational background in political and environmental science, I can relate this to the way humanity has altered, taken advantage of, and destroyed the natural world. So often a natural resource or habitat or species is exploited by humans, who only care about their own needs. Often times, other parties realize that action must be taken to fix the situation, yet nothing can be done because of the limitations of the legal system.

Anyways, that's just my two cents. Perhaps you should contact Sandrine about his, I'm sure she'd have an excellent answer for you!
Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

QuackHoover

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:01 pm

thankyou so much, that was exactly what i needed

it'll help so much :D
Vacu-DUCK
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:50 pm

<<

QuackHoover

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:06 am

Vacu-DUCK
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:14 am

<<

QuackHoover

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:25 am

well, the song is caled 'Flying High' by DJ Splash
i think its a remix, but its much better than the original
in my assignment, i've written what i think its about, for the 'reader interpretation' and then i just needed a couple of other opinions of what other people thought it was about
and since you did a spectacular analysis of the poem, it'll be perfect for my assignment

thankyou again

here's the lyrics:

I'll be back and then you'll be mine

Time is passing by, you gotta make it through the night
until the morning you say "Goodbye, for now darling."
Maybe you will come back, on another day you'll do that
Go away with the wind, it takes you now

We are flying high,
saying farewell would be a lie
There's no need tonight to spend a sleepless lonely night
We are flying high,
There's no way to say goodbye
You're denying, why?

We are flying high,
We are flying high,
You're denying, why?

It's night, you gotta be the fly
flying to the lamp, burning her little chances in the light.
She'll never learn to bite, but for now you cannot fight
and you're here to do it tight, burn your wings now and cry

Long time passed to do that and you plainly got a chance to be my mistress, you had to go.
If you want to fly on, please drop out before fall, waiting for the last call, and you never say no

We are flying high,
We are flying high,
You're denying, why?

thankyou soooo so much :)
Vacu-DUCK
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:34 am

Is your song choice set in stone? If I were you I'd switch it. This isn't a very "deep" song. It's all about the euphoria of being in love ("flying high") and it says that straight up. I don't really think there's much to interpret in it. Just a suggestion. If you like it, go with it, but my advice is to switch it.
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:39 am

I just watched a video of "Flying High" by DJ Splash on Youtube... hmmmm techno. I guess the "DJ" part of his name should've given it away (could've been rap too I guess). Going back to what I said about changing your song choice, I would perhaps stay away from techno or anything like that. The lyrics are usually pretty shallow and very repetitive... this style of music is all about the beat, not deep lyrics that will make you think. I would consider choosing some kind of ballad or other more lyrical song. Stay away from rap, pop, run of the mill rock. Look for something by a great songwriter known for their lyrics instead. Once again, just my advice.
<<

QuackHoover

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:54 am

Vacu-DUCK
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:06 am

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:24 am

<<

QuackHoover

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:38 am

Vacu-DUCK
<<

QuackHoover

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:44 am

Vacu-DUCK
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:48 am

Next

Return to Everything Else