[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Kristin Kreuk
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Kristin Kreuk

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Wed May 07, 2008 4:21 pm

canadianmaple09
Yes, Graham...
I believe HER left eye is the one that catches attention..
so I would probably just leave it. ;)

Phan-Tom
Yeah I agree, Tom
it's never fun to go back to make retouches. :D
I'm open to criticisms...keep them coming.

My DA: http://straycat27.deviantart.com/

CLICK to go to the LITTER BOX.
<<

Brendan

Post Fri May 09, 2008 12:02 pm

I know you've been wondering about the market for digital portraits Rob .. so I'll offer my 2¢ :D
Whenever I show my wife (who would be considered "average" in her familiarity of art) she just doesn't get it. She asks "is it a photo ?" and can't quite understand how it was created .. or how it's any different than a photo. No matter how many times I try to explain it !

People like photos .. and people like drawings/paintings.

But I think you might have a hard time selling something that looks exactly like the ref they gave you.

I could suggest changing the background or setting - but that's more like photo-manipulation.
Drawing in a more "painterly" style might be an easier sell.
<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Fri May 09, 2008 3:13 pm

Brendan
I totally agree with what you said here...
but the concept of photorealism applies to all medium..and not just digital.
You can't imagine why some people would spend a fortune to have a huge portrait in oil painting...usually photo-realistic...
when it is much, much cheaper to have a blow-up of a high resolution photo.
I still don't understand the reason behind it. :roll:

But since I agree with what you said..I won't try to defend my work. :lol:
I'm just honing my skill with my digital pieces.
But people who are interested in my work have added options...
'coz it's not the only medium I can offer. ;)

I'm trying to draw loosely..that's been my problem ever since.
I don't have a particular style but realism..
and you know I hate that.

Anyway, I'm experimenting with the pastel now..
putting the free portrait on hold.
And I'm avoiding using the pastel pencil since I know I'll get tempted again going into details.

Thanks for your advice...I appreciate that. ;)

<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat May 10, 2008 12:47 am

My DA: http://phan-tom.deviantart.com/
Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

Brendan

Post Sat May 10, 2008 1:34 am

But they're not that impressed by a photo .. which is what most people would think they were looking at, when presented with this image of Ms. Kreuk.

I bet Armin's work is still recognizable as a drawing to the average rube ...
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat May 10, 2008 3:31 pm

Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

muskwa

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Sat May 10, 2008 6:16 pm

I truly don't understand the digital drawing programs these days. In the beginning of watching Straycat's work I couldn't tell it from a photo, now that I've seen a few I can now pick out the subtilties. Question: How, and what on, are the files printed. Would specialty printers be need to say get the illustration board quality print, I know photographers charge an arm and a leg for a professional photo shoot plus the prints, an 8x10 in outrageous. If a digital artist can do this cheaper (I have know idea about costs mind you) or at least for the same, and by an emailed photo, rather than trying to organize a family reunion etc, etc. for a family portrait; I say why not?
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun May 11, 2008 7:39 am

My DA: http://phan-tom.deviantart.com/
Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun May 11, 2008 1:24 pm

Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Mon May 12, 2008 2:04 am

Brendan and Phan-Tom
I think this is going to be an endless debate, something like which comes first..
the chicken or the egg.
And I believe that it all boils down to what the client prefers.
We, as artists or art enthusiasts, also have our own preferences...
some like anime, some like CP and others like digital.
That's why it is better to have variety.
In my case...I can only offer realism as best as I can...
I can differ in medium but not in style. :roll:

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Mon May 12, 2008 2:19 am

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Mon May 12, 2008 2:38 am

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Mon May 12, 2008 2:40 am

<<

JCR3WS

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon May 12, 2008 12:09 pm

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Mon May 12, 2008 4:17 pm

JCR3WS
It depends on how complex the reference photo was, and it also depends on my mood to draw.
But it usually takes me 5-7 hours now, unlike before when I was just starting...they took me like 20 hours or so.

I'm not a high-tech kind of guy and I was also wondering how some artists managed to capture their WIP in video.

As for the proof...my WIPs would be my best proof.
(Sorry to disappoint those who wanted more.)
I know it's really difficult to convince people who don't know me that my works are not merely a photomanipultation.
I guess that's the downside of being a photo-realist.

Like I said earlier...it's not easy to convince people...
even those who has the knowledge of the medium.
There was this digital artist over at DA who questioned how come he can't see any brush strokes in my works...
Being a professional in this medium..
he should know that there are soft and hard brushes available...
and I simply chose using the soft brush coz I'm not good at blending.
I cannot change my style just to convince him, right? ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Art