[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Appreciation of Classic Artworks... or lack of!
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Appreciation of Classic Artworks... or lack of!

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:18 am

Some of my uncle's work. You can find it at www.ianmclean.ca

Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

crazy david

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:27 am

Hey Vike- Aren't you from Europe? Haven't you seen these paintings ( some of them) in person. In Ottawa where I lived, I went to the old National Galllery. I had an emotional orgasm or something when I saw a 'strip' of paint on a leg done by Mr. Rubens. Paintings are different in person. Of course Maple has his modern preference- because he lives now! Had he lived in the 1600's, I don't think he would have insisted that the masters paint so that people would love it 400 years into their future!
AND, if you go back 400 years, and get your face away from electronically lit monitors, and your brain actually finds the light of day itself beautiful, you may begin to imagine what a painting to the locals of those times was! No televison, no photographs, no post cards, no advertising on the side of buses, no head sets , no refrigerators, no nothing! Paintings had to have been a real buzz, at least- a 'trip' of some sort. I admit there's a lot of black in some of these pictures- many of them- but there's a whole lot more talent and discipline and labour and ingenuity in them as well!
If those 'masters' had done it all, we wouldn't have artists today. But remember- they had no photo references, no Google, no movie starlets online, no steroid-puffed muscle men. They just had eyes, pigment, sketch pads and studios- and some had 'patrons'.
I see no real argument here. Modern is now, then was then. Now we don't paint frilly-laced 'Monsieurs', and then, we didn't paint alcohol and drug addicted 'starlets'. Things change, but without yesterdays, there are no todays.
Last edited by crazy david on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:32 am

You make a very good point Crazy David, extremely well-thought out position! I just feel a little guilty about not feeling the same emotion you do towards these great artworks that so many other artists, and even non-artists, do. Maybe I have been seduced by the flashy advertising and plethora of images available to those of us living in the 21st century, but that is all I know and I like it. What we are getting into here is a bit like the science vs. religion debate. As you said David, "Modern is now, then was then." Comparing the two is incompatible.
<<

crazy david

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:42 am

Exactly. And art for us has changed hands, to a large degree- can we compete with the silver screen? Granted, it has 98% crap on it, but people need art ( paintings) less now that they want Hollywood. I don't know that we've been 'seduced' but we are in a whole different context.

Re: your uncle's picture of a chair, a person, maybe you or me, might well have said. " Where's the rest of it?"
Last edited by crazy david on Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:05 am

I'm not quite sure I understand the "where's the rest of it?" part of your last post, Crazy David.
<<

muskwa

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:16 am

<<

Arizona

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:00 am

Well, sure some of the old paintings are "boring" and some new paintings "suck". I think though that as artists, or people that like art, we have to respect each other (alive or dead). The skill that was required to create the beautiful, extremely realistic paintings was so great that you have to at least like the paintings for that. We are all different though, and like different things, and that is what makes the world a beautiful place. So, maybe just try to paint a painting in that extremely realistic style and you will learn to appreciate what they have done. I, personally, like a very wide range of art. I do love Monet, like you. There were a lot of artists that he was associated with when the impressionist movement was formed. There is a website, like art web, something? Anyways, all kinds of info on artists. Look at the Monet, Woman with parasol. It is so beautiful.
Check out my da account! http://mcsho.deviantart.com/
<<

crazy david

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:47 am

"Appreciation of Classic Artworks... or lack of!" is the posted title of this thread-... or did you mean " black off" ?

"I'm not quite sure I understand the "where's the rest of it?" part of your last post, Crazy David. "

By that I meant, back then, pictures were so elaborate, picral and illustrative of themes, that someone at that time would not understand that an empty chair, all by itself, could be a painting, an art work. It would have been too 'empty'.
Last edited by crazy david on Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

crazy david

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:00 am

"A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of L Grande Jatte":
"The painting is approximately 2 by 3 metres in size (approx. 6 feet 8 inches x 10 feet 10 inches)."

I am thinking that it might jump out at you if you were in front of the real thing, which would be hundreds of times the size of the images in books. But the dress code there is stifling, I' ll Grand Jatte you that!
Last edited by crazy david on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:17 am

<<

neela

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:30 am

I don't say everything, but I paint everything.

http://neelakapoor.deviantart.com/
<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:53 pm

Yeah I have seen al the great's that is to be seen in Europe. I spend most if my time traveling and looking at the paintings, sculptures and such around Europe. I even went so far as to go to some of the places where Van Gogh painted outside and made some drawings. I love the old art, I own hundreds of books about art and painters. I am addicted hahaha. I am trying to teach my self that way of painting, i've tried making my own paints.

I like the paintings that your uncle did as well.

I understand Dave about an emotional orgasm! I been to the Giger museum and that rocks!! My hair on my arms where up on ent, just like the first time I saw the nightwatch!
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:58 pm

I think one of the things missing from this discussion is that the paintings may not look the way they did when it was painted. Most paintings after a few hundred years usually look darker, and take on a brown tone, where they were once colorful.
Here's a good example of how much a painting can change.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restoratio ... l_frescoes
My DA: http://phan-tom.deviantart.com/
Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:36 pm

That is true! Great point.
<<

crazy david

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:22 am

Thanks for the link, Phantom.
When I was 15 I did a drawing of Michelangelo's "The Creation of Man" pictured in Phan-Tom's link. I gave it to the waitress with warm and tantalizing brown eyes. Her smile was thanks enough. Is it ever beautiful now! Could that guy throw light around or what- I mean, look at the form of 'Adam' in that painting- the light and shade and clour is exquisite, no? And you can be sure he had no photo reference! He drew studies, with lines in them! Heck- I'll post it:

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else