[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - songs
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

songs

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Re: songs

I hope you guys disagree with some (or all) of what I'm going to say here...

To me good and bad music goes in cycles. I don't think that the "older" music is always necessarily better and that it is on a constant downslope. I think the 1960's were a great period for music. Lots of innovation with new musical styles (especially the use of electric guitars and effects) and some really iconic bands and musicians like Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton who revolutionized guitar playing. The 1970's were alright although not quite as good, a bit too "out there" for my liking, less about actual music and more about crazy experimentation. Although still very artistic, so it had that going for it. Also the start of music purely for commercial purposes like disco that had no real substance but people loved. I don't have much good to say about the 80's. Way too commercial for my liking, all of the hair bands were doing the same thing just like all of the metal bands were doing the same thing within their genres. Not a whole lot of originality. Although the 80's were the birth of bands that would mature later and do better stuff, like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Metallica. To me the early 90's were a return to something like the 1960's. Not in terms of the style of music itself, but in going back to more musically-driven songwriting, stripping away most of the "commercial" aspects of the songs like fluffy, easy-to-understand feel-good lyrics and the ridiculous costumes of the 1980's. As much as I like grunge, I am not a fan of Nirvana. I honestly think Kurt Kobain is one of the most overrated singers ever. He did a great job of perfectly synchronizing his music and lyrics with the angst of the young generation at the time, but musically I don't think Nirvana was all that great. The late 1990's were like a massive train wreck for music. 'Nsync, Back Street Boys, Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera... the age of boy bands and girly pop that completely lacked all substance and was pre-fabricated just to make money. Also it was a time when bands that had previously made some great music like Metallica and Pearl Jam put out sub-standard albums. The one exception was the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who rebounded from losing John Frusciante in the early 90's and came back together with some great music that came from deep inside. The other great exception I love from this era is the Matthew Good Band. Matthew Good never tried to sell his image, he has always been honest with his opinion and message, and wasn't afraid to be critical of the excess and hollowness of most music at the time. The 2000's were pretty blah for music, not a lot of creativity (think about Nickelback, Staind, Creed, Seether, etc.) but at least it wasn't overly terrible. I think now we're swinging back towards the terrible music and excess of the late 90's and 80's. "Sex sells" is as true now as it has ever been... Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Pussycat Dolls... it makes me sick. Their careers are less about the music than they are about their bodies. Catchy tunes, sure, but they're completely hollow and aren't advancing music any. I can't name any truly talented bands right now that dominate the top 40 charts.

Obviously I missed a lot of music in that description, like rap/hip hop, and I didn't intend it to be comprehensive, but what I wrote are the things I think about when I go through music history in my head.
Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:26 pm

I disagree with all of it.
eom
My DA: http://phan-tom.deviantart.com/
Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:27 pm

I figured. But if that's the case, you have to justify why you disagree with it all. :D
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:29 pm

Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Yes you do.
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:35 pm

That more or less sums up what I said...

1960's- great
1970's- okay
1980's- garbage
early 1990's- good
late 1990's- smelly poo
2000's- meh
today- puke
the future- ?
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Hahaha caught you deleting a comment. I just regret I didn't quote it in my comment so it would be preserved. Although you could just get rid of that too.
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:45 pm

One problem with lists like these is that there is something of a Nielsen TV ratings effect.
Nielsen use to have people fill out what shows they watched, but what they were actually doing were putting down what shows they thought they should be watching.
In other words people will write something down which they think will make them seems to be musical connoisseur, while in private they're happy to listen to the Back Street Boys.
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:49 pm

<<

zach97

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:32 pm

1960s-great music Woodstock in 69' need i say more,(i will) the beatles ,the doors
1970s- barry white,clapton,one of my faves elvis costello in his prime,lennon with woman is the n of the world,imagine,good music
1980s-blah,REM,bon jovi,motley crue,styx and queen but not much like i said blah
early 1990s amazing-mother love bone,temple of the dog,nirvana,stone temple pilots,alice in chains
late 1990s-not so good but a few not so bad foo fighters(amazing one of my faves),pearl jam,creed.
2000-uhhhh kind of sucks.bullet for my valentine,foo fighters,all time low,tim mcgraw,nickelback best i can think of.
2010-2011-worst music ever all i hear is (c)rap and hip hop i mean come on anything is better. :D
my da
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:57 pm

1st;Graham,have you listened to my link?
2nd;Most popular music gets ruined by 'overplay',so maybe the answer is...don't follow the crowd
3rd and final,anything good will be copied,any trend will be copied,and anything manufactured...keep well away from.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Zink

Amateur
Amateur

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:04 pm

#1 - Offspring
#2 - Metallica
#3 - Dj Krush
#4 - Da Grassroots
#5 - Clapton
#6 - Joe Satriani
#7 - Gary Moore
#8 - Slick Rick
#9 - Jazz Addixx
#10 - Cunninlynguists

I have so many more artists to add but these are the top 10 I listen to most frequently.
'Look, it's my misery that I have to paint this kind of painting, it's your misery that you have to love it, and the price of the misery is thirteen hundred and fifty dollars. '
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:17 pm

How many are influenced by media or fashion?

Zink,Because you do graffiti,are you influenced by ...?

Example. Surfers...Jack Johnson...

As myself,i am influenced by musical taste and not fashion,regardless of age,trends or hype 8)
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:11 am

<<

Zink

Amateur
Amateur

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:29 am

I gather influence in a sense from everything. I have my own views on matters and am rarely closed minded on hearing others, all the while letting myself judge what is more 'morally right' to my preferences. When it comes to music I seldomly focus on lyrics. Mostly it is instruments that tickle my fancy. But yes, there are times that I will gather the meaning of the song and it will influence me to think. Guess thats the same with the media as well. With the graffiti it was partially provoked by a mild influence of rebellion from my upbringing, media and politics. But that was around the age where the veil of a biasness was dissipating. Trying to understand the truth behind everything, being confused and felt that art that was publicly seen was a way of telling the world that I am who I make myself and not what is expected of me. I believe the saying 'A picture is worth a thousand words.' Instead of gathering a peace rally or organizing an underground coalition I could express my views with art, which I hoped would spark an idea in others in a more subtle manor. But then again I have only done about half a dozen pieces where I portrayed a message. Other than that graffiti was just a type of art that I was enthralled by. I was introduced to 'bombing' (just writing a name) in grade school from a mixture of races and started drawing it on paper, then adding color and eventually spray painting. First thing I used to do when I moved into an apartment would be painting the walls. Although some see it as a 'ghetto' look, I found that the ambiance it brought to the rooms gave it more life than any picture could produce. Why color inside the lines when the canvas is much bigger? or “You've got a Methodist Coloring Book And you color really well But don't color outside the lines Or God will send you to hell”

Might have to edit this later on after I proofread it but I hope I made sense.
'Look, it's my misery that I have to paint this kind of painting, it's your misery that you have to love it, and the price of the misery is thirteen hundred and fifty dollars. '
PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else