[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Opinions on DeviantArt
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Opinions on DeviantArt

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

Brian.May

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:25 am

Opinions on DeviantArt

I am always curious about peoples opinions of DA, especially other artists. I am also curious how many of you actually read the EULA when you first signed up or just hit "Agree". Years ago when I was going to sign up for them I read the EULA and was really turned off by some of the rights they gave themselves. Specifically the right to sell my work to 3rd parties without giving me any credit or % of the money generated. Along with that, the license they are granted (by you when you hit agree) essentially creates a massive stock image business for them without any financial benefit to the artist or even recognition as being the creator.
SO as I said, I am always interested in peoples opinion of DA and really a reason why they would agree to such terms!!
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:46 am

Re: Opinions on DeviantArt

I post all of my work there and I don't give a crap what they do with my work once I post it. Whenever you post your artwork online you run the risk of someone copying or stealing it and trying to profit from it. It could be the website itself you post it on or some casual browser looking to get rich on other people's work. It happens every day. Facebook has had similar issues with the wording of their privacy agreements. I believe Facebook was forced to change the wording of their agreement several times. DA's agreement is probably still vague in certain areas about copyright protection and suggests in others that they could theoretically use your work for their own purposes (when really they never will) simply because no one has challenged it.
Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

Brian.May

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:36 am

Interesting attitude about work being posted. For the sole reason that it is easier and easier for work to be hijacked and original creators not being compensated I prefer to keep as much control over what I post. Even if an agency/company or even a private individual were to contact me and say they would give me credit, that is perfectly acceptable but, to just take the work without any compensation? Just not acceptable to me. Nor is it acceptable to me that when you do find someone who is using your work without permission that it must be a complicated process to have it end.
I might have this attitude due to working for a company where we used grey area materials as our own and it always left a bad taste in my mouth. But, I think it has more to do with "honest days pay for an honest days work" :)
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:57 am

<<

Brian.May

Addicted
Addicted

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:08 am

True enough, I tend to lean more towards production anyway. Long ago I was more interested in process but I have a young son and no brick and mortar job prospects where we live so, I am very focused on production and the reproducible aspect of what I do. Probably why I am moving off of grad school for art history and going back for a degree in visual comm. Those skills I can sell much easier than art history!
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:39 pm

They have just started doing this on imageshack where my pictures are loaded,was going to post a topic until i saw yours Brian.I personally don't think that it's fair, they can make images of my images? Who owns the 'Copyright',if i try to make money from someones image without permission i could be prosecuted,yet they can steal my 'stolen image' and profit without prosecution??? C.O.N.F.U.S.E.D. :( :( :(
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Brian.May

Addicted
Addicted

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:18 pm

Use Imgur.com no issues like this at all. Has everything you need, galleries, private/public/restricted options and when you select an image it will give you about 8 different tags you can use depending on where you are posting the image, forum/im/webpage/blog/etc etc etc.

I can see the argument for allowing them to profit from your work, you are using their servers and they do cost money to operate. However my main point of contention was that I would not be receiving any financial profit from them selling my images. Another aspect I did not like was that if they sold my images and I closed out my DA account, I had to request from DA who purchased my images THEN I would have to contact those companies/individuals and go through that process of stopping them from using my images. Most people do not read a EULA when they join a site or install software, as artists if you do that then really you have no one to blame but yourself when something like the DA EULA occurs.

I just choose to not use them, not engage in the hassle of their EULA and more importantly, you post your work on the web and you run the risk of it being stolen, why make it easier for another company to have user generated content that they can then turn into stock images to sell? To agree to that is beyond me, I know some people don't mind. I mind greatly if my work is used without me being compensated. I make work because I like to make work, I like to show work and I like to trade work and I really like selling work. You will notice that I did not list "I like to give away work for others to profit" or "I like to create uncompensated stock images".

I am by no means one of the artists who thinks that for art to be "pure" you can't sell work. The great masters sold work, the pillars of technique, sold work. If it was good enough for them to make and sell work, it ought to be good enough for all of us!!

</rant>
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:02 pm

Trouble with me is i'm not a tech head,i suppose you could place a pencil across your image or add a watermark.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Brian.May

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:23 pm

Watermark would be the only way to really deal with it. It is at least a step to protect yourself. DA might not like it but hey, if they want unmarked images they ought to have to compensate you as anyone else would have to :)
<<

Brendan

Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:35 am

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:46 am

You can never be too safe... my tinfoil hat has fended off many an alien attempt at reading my thoughts and stealing my brain!

Return to Everything Else