[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Every Artist Should Read This!
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Every Artist Should Read This!

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

Arizona

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:02 am

I agree blurhead. I am so new to drawing and it was so nice having someone not in my family be interested in my drawings. People just don't understand what goes into the drawings. He at one put made a comment like the people on the street can draw people in minutes. I think he was referring to caricatures?! And I think you are right Duey, $80 is really cheap and I don't want to go that low, but I do want to build up my portfolio. I am running out of cool family photos to draw. I guess this is one of the reasons why people turn to celebrity drawings maybe? I have spent the last several months chasing my kids around with the camera, but it is still hard to get that one good picture! So, one of the nurses at the hospital asked if I would draw her kids. I am hoping she emails me! I guess it would be my first real paid drawings!
Check out my da account! http://mcsho.deviantart.com/
<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:25 pm

I'm open to criticisms...keep them coming.

My DA: http://straycat27.deviantart.com/

CLICK to go to the LITTER BOX.
<<

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:21 pm

i agree with straycat. If it's a really good friend, i'd give them a discount, but not by too much... as for my family, i'd only draw for free for my parents and my dad's side of the family members...(Family business)
I'm not a good artist, but i'm good at pretending to be one...

My DA: http://lordavatarz.deviantart.com/
<<

blurhead

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:19 am

<<

raerae0406

Post Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:14 am

This article DOES make a good point. I'm glad you posted it but I'm still on the fence over this issue. I can't speak for everyone else, I just know that doing work for free/cheap has really payed off. It's boosted by business and now I'm charging the heck out of people. :)

I do window splashes (those painted advertisements you see on storefront windows). When I was getting started it was hard to get people to let me do something for them...even if it was really going to help them out. So I decided to do one for free. I took a few pictures to put on my website and in exchange I told the manager to spread the word about my services and to keep a handful of biz cards at the front register. I got my first paying job that way.

I also illustrate children's books. Last semester a lady contacted me at school saying that she was in need of an illustrator for her book and she had a limited budget (this expense would be coming out of her pocket). She told me she would pay $500 for the cover and interior illustrations and in exchange I would get the exposure and experience...not to mention a killer resume out of it. Just recently she called me and told me she'd signed with a big name publisher and he wants me to sign a contract. Now I'll not only get paid the big 'lump sum' check but also royalties on top of that. Can't beat that deal.

Doing free work also makes you feel good. For instance, I'm thinking about doing some wall murals for this women's shelter in town...just 'cause I want to. No one's asked me to. I just know it would brighten their day to show that SOMEONE cares.

All in all I think doing free/cheap work can really be a benefit when you're starting out...it makes your work VISIBLE instead of just hearsay.
<<

dot2dot

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:41 am

Previous

Return to Everything Else