[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Every Artist Should Read This!
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Every Artist Should Read This!

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

blurhead

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:01 am

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:35 am

After reading about your experiences..I suddenly recalled that something like this happened to me once. A former classmate approached me during our class reunion after he learned that I could draw. He asked me to make a T-shirt design to promote his business. And just like your's..no discussions of payments took place. After I finished the drawing and "delivered" it to him...all I got was a thank you. *sigh*
I'm open to criticisms...keep them coming.

My DA: http://straycat27.deviantart.com/

CLICK to go to the LITTER BOX.
<<

blurhead

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:56 am

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:43 pm

<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:01 pm

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:41 pm

Another approach for those who cannot say NO is to say YES but DON'T do it. [-X
And if the person ask for the artwork..simply tell them that you didn't think they were serious coz no payment was discussed. Cap_PDT_01_05

<<

Brendan

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:00 pm

<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:02 pm

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:42 pm

Hahaha..great minds think alike? :twisted: Cap_PDT_01_05

<<

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:59 pm

hahaha. wow
i did not understand the point of the article until i was half way through it...
anyways, the only drawings i give away are useless doodles that i do not value whatsoever...
if anyone asks the good ones for free, i'd say "screw you"
i have not made any money out of drawings so far, but because i give away my drawings (good ones), i don't care if a lot of people have to know my as an artist....a friend of mine asked me for a drawing, he expected to pay me at the very beginning, but he backed off realizing it was much more expensive than he realized...
he understood though
I'm not a good artist, but i'm good at pretending to be one...

My DA: http://lordavatarz.deviantart.com/
<<

Arizona

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:19 pm

Okay, so I delivered the drawing to the doctor. He was very thankful and seemed very happy with it and left. That was it. So later when he came back to our room he said that he had posted a copy of it in the hospital and a lot of people really liked it. Then asked how much I would charge to draw these and I told him that the going rate is $80 and he seemed very surprised! So, I said I could go a little bit lower, but not by much. I just don't understand why that seemed so high in price. this is something that he can have for the rest of his life, even give to his kids. And I think he charges me like $300 for 15 minutes with my son LOL, I spent 3 full days working on that drawing!!! After I told him the cost he did bring me a months worth of medication, so that was cool.
Check out my da account! http://mcsho.deviantart.com/
<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:14 pm

Lol, $80 is nothing for a doctor. That cracks me up that he thought that was high. Alot of people don't understand what goes into some of these drawings. Don't let people talk you down though. I think $80 is dirt cheap. I wouldn't go that low. :?
<<

blurhead

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:41 am

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:45 am

<<

bakereke

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:46 am

What I find hard is charging friends and family.. They ask me to do something and I say "no problem", then they say "we will pay you.. how much will you charge" and I say " its ok, dont worry " and they say you must charge or we wont ask again.... But what do you charge?? I will never make a living this way!!! :oops: :oops: :cry:
Bakereke
cant type, cant spell... not much I can do!

www.mariebaker.co.uk
PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else