[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Dumb Newbie Questions
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Dumb Newbie Questions

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

annenon

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:22 pm

Dumb Newbie Questions

Hello all,

Having not drawn since I was a child, I have just rediscovered the sheer joy of drawing. However, I have never drawn people before and have a strong desire to try. So I thought that the best approach would be to look at the methods used by other artists and follow them, by copying drawing the work where needed, only until I have mastered the techniques and then, subsequently develop my own. Once I have mastered the techniques, my intention is to attempt to draw people from photographs.

My questions are two-fold (and most likely been asked on numerous occasions - sorry if it has) and probably a bit dumb but:

1. Is this the best way to attack the subject?

2. Providing it is purely for purposes of learning the art of drawing people, is my method legal?

Many thanks in advance.
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Dumb Newbie Questions

Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

annenon

Post Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:11 am

Re: Dumb Newbie Questions

Hello Canadianmaple09

Thank you for your reply, it has helped to put my mind at rest.

Although I would only use other people's works in order to gain an insight into the techniques used and certainly have no intention of passing them off as my own, I was a little worried that I could be accused of plagerism or breach of copyright, even if I gave credit to the originator of the work.

As it is, as you say, a tried a tested method of learning, then it would appear that I am on the correct lines for self-teaching and will continue until I have built up more confidence to 'go solo', and draw people from photographs or even my own imagination - twisted as it is!!

Now about that Van Gogh....

Return to Everything Else