[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Need some opinions
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Need some opinions

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

Mark

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:16 pm

Need some opinions

I just got back from one of my art classes where we basically do our own work and present it for the midterm and final. My professor just gets me absolutely furious. Every time I show him a work that is along the lines of realism, he brushes it off as just an exercise rather than a piece of art. I just can't stand this. I really don't think as any of the drawers on this forum as realist drawers but really as great artists. Realizing tones and proportions is such a wonderful concept, and accurately portraying them is a style that few would even think of attempting. From seeing the great works from artist like Brian Duey and Armin Mersmann, I was completely sucked into this style of art and respect these artists just as I do some of my favorites, including Van Gogh, Munch, Renoir, etc.
I was told, why not just set up the object I am drawing and call it art, instead of accurately spending time to draw it. I told my professor how ridiculous I thought this was and was really insulted by it. I feel that this realist style is seeing things that no one else realizes is there, and is such an amazing form of art.
I respect all forms of art, from abstract to CGI to photorealism. I am so sick of being told that work along the lines of realism is inferior to abstract work and that I should be using my imagination to be a creative artist. I would really like to hear what some of you think if you take the time to read my little rant here. Thanks!

also...I plan on doing a few copies of some of my favorite realist pencil art to show my professor. I feel this will be extremely beneficial to myself, as I did not create the concept so I cannot be ridiculed for what it means. All credit for these works will of course go to the original artist, not myself.
<<

Shawn692

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:32 pm

<<

Dezkenob1

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Need some opinions

<<

Mark

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Dez, thanks so much for the long response. I agree with everything you said. The idea of drawing a realistic photo of my professor is an amazing idea and would love to do it. I don't want to just take a candid picture of him and draw it because that would be kind of creepy but maybe I'll ask him and see what he thinks. Thanks for the idea!
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:42 pm

You and Matt both raised great points Mark! I know I could rant on and on about how I think realism is superior in many ways to abstract art, but I will save the partisan bickering. Perhaps just a bit of debate would be good. I don't deny that abstract art can take a lot of skill and be very artistic, however I will show one comparison.

In your opinion, which piece requires more artistic skill to complete? Keep in mind that Armin Mersmann's drawings regularly sell for thousands of dollars, while Jackson Pollack's command millions (one sold for $140 million).

Armin Mersmann's drawing of a light bulb:

Splatter painting by Jackson Pollack:

And just for the record, here is the piece that sold for $140 million:
Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

gerrard08

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm disgusted at this idea that realism, in graphite especially is inferior to other forms and movements... i have seen hundreds of amazing pieces over the past few months from people on deviantart and the forum to Armin and our very own Brian Duey 8) These people have a fantastic talent that they have nurtured over numerous years but yet there work is hardly recognized when juxtaposed against what is apparently ''Art''... Recently i've been learning about De Stijl and Suprematism, which although very nice, doesn't take half as much attention to detail, effort and talent to create.... sorry guys but it really pisses me off when these pieces sell for millions, yet our style is so frequently overlooked :(
Last edited by gerrard08 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

gerrard08

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:55 pm

How does 60 million dollars sound guys?
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:56 pm

$60 million? That's pocket change compared to what Pollock's paint splatters sell for! ;) Now if only I could sell a piece for more than $50... that would be a real feat!
Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

Shawn692

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Any of you been to the MoMA in NYC? Some awesome art there but also filled with a lot of similar abstract pieces like those above...if I see one more 12 x 12 foot canvas with a blue dot on it sell for millions of dollars, I might have an early funeral.
Shawn King does digital art stuff. Yo.
<<

Mark

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:23 pm

<<

Shawn692

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Shawn King does digital art stuff. Yo.
<<

Dezkenob1

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:08 pm

<<

Atilla

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Don't judge a book by it's cover , open it up and read it.

http://atilla10.deviantart.com/
<<

Mark

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:19 pm

<<

DannyRoe

Brand New Member

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:59 pm

Next

Return to Everything Else