[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Professional Artist
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Professional Artist

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

bravoc-88

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:37 pm

Professional Artist

My last day of college is next wed so I got a summer job but I'm also gonna put ads up to sell some portrait drawings. I'm gonna try to do this by mail. So I was just wondering how many people here sell their artwork besides Duey :D

oh, here's my poster!
~"The act of drawing alone makes you an artist..."~ Nick Meglin

http://bravoc-88.deviantart.com/gallery/
<<

JCR3WS

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:08 pm

<<

thiagoleal

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:19 pm

Thiago Leal
João Pessoa, Brazil
http://thiagoleal.deviantart.com

<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:19 pm

<<

davideo

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:05 am

Hi Bravoc- I have sold art works here and there over the years. I got $20 for a wet "Rembrandt" plus 7/8 of a pizza once, in Vancouver's West End. ( I am not trying to be a smart ass- just give a small scenario of my professionality!). Once I entered a show at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Vancouver, and a lady whom I met 15 years and 3500 miles away, bought it. My most expensive sale-$1600. I let her have it for $1000 though, I was so relieved. Off and on, the picture took about 6 months!) ( The lady and I did not know we had met before, until months later.) I sold a $50 picture of Leonard Cohen to Leonard Cohen in 1969. I have sold for small amounts sometimes ( $100) by taking pictures to the coffee shop where I hung out.
I do not have the confidence to be professional. I do better to let my heart "represent" me, so far.
And I can't tell you what I think of commissions, without using 'bad' words!
'It takes a lot to laugh- it takes a train to cry'- Bob Dylan

Formerly "Crazy David"
<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:58 pm

<<

dixonart

Post Thu May 01, 2008 6:25 pm

commissions etc

It does depend on your personality...I have a sales and marketing/customer service oriented personality, but sometimes commissions can be very difficult - both artistically and psychologically.

I created a couple of pages that might help - this first one is rather weak on content, right now but you might find something you can use out of it...and maybe you can make some suggestions too..it's on the psychology of drawing and how we can find ourselves being negative and that keeps us from being able to work/draw/create.

This page tells about some of the negative experiences I've had as a portrait artist, and about the client who almost caused me to quit when I had barely begun my new line of work: h

A page that has all my art related pages listed/linked is here:

Let me know if you find info you can use, and if you have ideas of what I should add, I would greatly appreciate it.

I was going to publish art advice as an e-book, and then I decided that to just put it on Squidoo so other artists could have it for free would just be a nice thing to do (plus, I don't have the time to market an ebook!)

<<

Red 9

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu May 01, 2008 6:45 pm

I am not a pro, but my grandfather is. He has done many high level works including the Minnesota Trout stamp, Minnesota state park sticker art, Minnesota wildlife mugs, Minnesota fishing regulation book cover art, and many, many more. His name is Louis Raymer.

Return to Everything Else