[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Appreciation of Classic Artworks... or lack of!
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Appreciation of Classic Artworks... or lack of!

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:02 pm

Appreciation of Classic Artworks... or lack of!

I look at many (not all) pieces of classic artwork and I find them boring. For one thing, everything was so dark and dreary. The greatest artists of all time used so much black and brown and dark shades of green... not interesting at all! They also seem to have focused mainly on portraits and landscapes. My uncle is an artist and an art teacher and has exhibited his work in many galleries and shows. He absolutely loves Velazquez. I read that Velazquez is supposedly one of the most influential artists on European painting. I personally find his works *snore* boring! Even when he took on an interesting subject such as a midget (see below), he portrayed this man in exactly the ways I stated above. Am I a bad artist for finding the majority of classical works dreary and boring? I am not trying to diminish the skill of the artists or their mastery of their craft, all I am saying is that personally I'd rather see something with more colour and movement. Or in the case of black and white pencil drawings such as those on this forum, really dramatic lighting and shadows.

Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:04 pm

I guess I should also say that I do like the works of Monet and Degas. If anyone else knows any other famous artists I might like, please suggest them! And yes, I am a fan of daVinci's crazy drawings and inventions.
<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:27 pm

The classics boring?? That is so wrong I do not even know where to start! hahaha How can you call the nightwatch boring? The play of light and the feel of the fabrics of the characters in there! The mona lisa boring? Never again will there be a portrait of that maginitude! Bosch boring? Colors everywhere and things happening all over, the details in his paintings are just remarkeble! Vermeer and his Milkmade boring? Jan Steen boring? OK and then the huge one's ...Michelangelo Buonarroti? Ever seen his works? He made the greatis murail ever! Munch who made the scream, there is so much power in there, is that boring? I can go on and on, Van Gogh boring? I think you would like O'Keeffe. Lots of colors.

As for why they painted what they painted, there where no camera's back then. So people needed portraits to show other who they where and landscaps are a classic subject. There is nothing harder then sitting outside and trieng to paint a scene. The light changes constant and that makes it bloody hard.

The fact that they used a lot of brow's and black's is simple, first the colors where cheap to make, red is expensife! So they used a lot of darker colors, second thet craze of the day where darker colors.People did not wair bright purple shirts! That was just for the church! And there where no bright lights so everything was more hidden in shadow's.
It is a very hard style to master, the shadows are perfect indeed in those paintings.

There hahaha rant over! blood pressure down again hahaha.
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Last edited by canadianmaple09 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:40 pm

Van Gigh works

Last edited by canadianmaple09 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Chablis

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:16 pm

<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:08 pm

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:27 pm

<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:44 pm

thats ok, I kinda spuw a few out hahaha
<<

muskwa

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:46 pm

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:54 pm

<<

muskwa

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:04 am

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:05 am

<<

muskwa

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:10 am

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:15 am

Next

Return to Everything Else