[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Drawings done in Pen
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Drawings done in Pen

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Drawings done in Pen

I guess I should come out and say what I was hinting at when I wrote this post.

Drawing using photoshop is not really any easier than drawing with a pencil.
If people would actually try to do a complete drawing using a graphics program, they would find that out. You can even just use a mouse. There is no magical button that shades the teeth. It can even be quite frustrating at time to draw digitally because it doesn't always do what you want, you have to control it.
It's kind of like thinking blending is cheating. People might think all you do is lay down some graphite then smudge it around. If you do that all you're going to have is a mess. It's the person manipulating it that creates the smooth transitions that blending gives you. The better you are at it, the better the results. It's the same with drawing with using a computer. It's the person controlling it that gets the results.
There are filters that can make a photo look like a drawing or a painting, but that's not drawing.

My reason for posting the drawing done in pen and made the comments about pen drawings being the only true drawing was to point out how ridiculous the idea that simply because you can move things around with a computer, to correct a piece of art, makes it less legit. Don't people use erasers to change something that wasn't quite in the right position. I saw someone on this forum do a beautiful drawing, but they had the iris of the eye way off center. I urged them to fix it. Now after they fixed it does that mean the drawing is a sham? It wasn't perfect when they originally drew the iris, so even after it's been erased and fixed, it's less of a drawing?

By

By

By
Last edited by Phan-Tom on Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 10 times in total.
My DA: http://phan-tom.deviantart.com/
Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

krisb781

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:23 pm

Love this thread :) wait....is it cheating if you use a ref or model? j/k :lol:

heres some of my sketches....

my brother by the docks, he's an underwater welder

I cant remember the mag I stole this from..Maxim maybe? It was a sloppy quick Christina Aguliaria

my girlfriend. She was trying on hats....

I did these prior to joining this forum and learning about portraitures. Its kinda funny seeing how far Ive come. Amazing how fast you can evolve with new techniques :)
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; and a sense of humor to console him for what he is. "
http://krisb781.deviantart.com/
<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:33 am

Re: real drawing

I'm open to criticisms...keep them coming.

My DA: http://straycat27.deviantart.com/

CLICK to go to the LITTER BOX.
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:54 am

Re: real drawing

Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:02 pm

Could someone please send me a PM letting me know who's causing all of the recent drama here? I've noticed a lot of people feeling like they have to defend their work lately and that just isn't right.
<<

cujo

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:20 pm

<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:58 pm

<<

crazy david

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:17 am

Hi Phan-Tom- I am Person 1 and Person 2. I assure you that the posts that I wrote were NOT aimed at you. They were not "aimed" at anyone. As best as I can, I have tried to be both fair and honest in statements I have made at this site, and I have ( while not being named) been accused of doing neither. When I said that using a digital program was easy, I said it because that was my experience. This is not a slight of anyone who uses digital methods, whatsoever. It is an observation of the apparatus that has been made available! You have acknowledged one of its various benefits when you talked about the shading that it can do.
I was not saying that a person without talent can 'easily' apply a digital drawing program!
I really don't know what to say on this website anymore. We are all sensitive, and it was all I could do to even come back here after reading some of what was inferred my way some days ago- or so it very much seems).
I can't apologize for my perspectives, which have been stated as observations and opinions, and not condemnations of others at all. If I wanted to condemn a person, I would not do it politely!
I hope you can step back a moment and see the truth of my words, Phan-Tom. You are a brilliant and talented artist. I would have no excuse for judging or condemning your art- nor anyone else's here at Dueysdrawings.
I do retain the opinion that computer graphics art is different than pencil art, and that to compare them should always involve acknowledgements of their inherent differences, which are very substantial.
When I came to this site, I had no idea that people used grids to do drawings, and I am seeing that it is a truly beneficial device for those who have applied it. Computer graphics is also a new concept to me, as are the existence of digital pens and tablets. I guess I have come across to be very out-dated and out-moded, and I apologize for offending anyone at any time. It has never been my intent or desire to that.
I assure you, again, Phan-Tom, that you were not a 'target' of my words, and I am sorry that you thought you were- because it is most unpleasant to suffer that kind of crap!
If what I have said here does not manage to 'justify' things I have said in various threads , I will simply stop coming here.

I
Last edited by crazy david on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:48 am

Actually what I wrote was more in defense in computer art in general, if you just use a couple of functions in a graphics program, it seems like you can do anything with it, but when you actually try to do a complete work of art,
you find that it can be as challenging as traditional methods.

I do have my own views on difficulty levels when it comes to drawing, and they're actually pretty high, but I've always had a "live and let live" policy towards other members of this forum.
<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:04 am

[quote but I've always had a "live and let live" policy towards other members of this forum.[/quote]

No..we have passed that point! Let us all start pointing fingers in the dark and call each others names and see see where it will lead us!
hahaha
<<

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:27 am

I'm not a good artist, but i'm good at pretending to be one...

My DA: http://lordavatarz.deviantart.com/
<<

crazy david

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:23 am

Hi Brian- I don't think there is any one person who intended to provoke anyone. But I personally have said a thing or two which has been misunderstood to be critical, when it actually was a statement that wasn't properly worded, I think.
I sincerely think this matter and the hurt feelings of some ( myself included) has come when we took personally things that someone has said about the method(s) we use- a if we were the method! I think I offended people who use gridding, for example, and all I did, I think, is mention that my teacher considered even erasing and smudging to be "cheating". That "cheating" word bothered some people, but I only meant to say that my teacher thought so! And my amazement at the many people using gridding may have inadvertantly offended people, too.
If it can be shown to have been me that caused this problem, I will leave, as I have said elsewhere.
I honestly have the feeling, now, Brian, that a number of us have come to see how careful we have to be, with reference to other's methods, and try not to "slight" this or that technique- lest someone take it personally.
I have never done other than try to express myself honestly here, though. I just have to be more careful. (The internet is known for failing to denote humour, tongue- in- cheek ... which must be the reason for emoticons being invented.)
Last edited by crazy david on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

blurhead

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:38 am

Let's try posting more art and less art politics.

Return to Everything Else