[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - An unfair test question
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

An unfair test question

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:19 am

Navi, When I was in college, an instructor told my class to start with the eyes first. He was a professional illustrator, and specialized in drawing people. This was fine by me because thats were I always started anyways. But I agree with you that you should start were ever you feel comfortable. There really are no rules for drawings. They're all just someone's opinion.
Did your art teacher ever give a reason why they thought the nose was the correct place to start?

Brendan, does your friend still have his job?
Last edited by Phan-Tom on Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Brendan

Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:35 am

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:16 pm

I'm open to criticisms...keep them coming.

My DA: http://straycat27.deviantart.com/

CLICK to go to the LITTER BOX.
<<

Navi

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:41 pm

Phan-Tom no she never gave a reason at least not a good one. I think it might be because thats where she starts.
<<

quicksdraw

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:42 pm

<<

babyspyro12345

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:27 pm

please view
<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:12 pm

Yeah, I think you should be able to start anywhere on a drawing. There's no wrong or right way to do art.

But I do agree with Brendan. Chances are, you are going to be listening to people tell you what to do for the rest of your life. Don't buck the boss.

I think that's a stupid rule though. A long time ago I started with the eyes because I knew how important they were. But now I feel confident enough that I won't screw them up too horribly and I start with the hair.
<<

crazy david

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:04 am

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:37 pm

Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:32 am

One reason I'm not taking another art class in my life again is because I've had enough with my current teacher.
I hate being told what to do, especially on the fields I'm good at.
You start from wherever you feel like.
Although Étienne started his current work from nose, it's also my first time seen anybody who does that, his explanation is that, for that PARTICULAR picture, the nose has more tone variation, so it's wiser to start from it.
I'm not a good artist, but i'm good at pretending to be one...

My DA: http://lordavatarz.deviantart.com/
<<

namelesshero

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:42 am

<<

Raul

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:40 am

Re: An unfair test question

Previous

Return to Everything Else