FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

signature

Moderator: duey

<<

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:35 am

signature

my AP art teacher told me this, and i thougtht i might as well share it with somebody
"don't sign your drawings, it'll ruin the composition"
my version is, if u have to sign, don't do it on where your drawing takes place, do it on the margin or on the back of the paper where it doesn't interferes with the drawing.
(now that i think of it, signatures are a bit disattracting)
i don't mind if u don't agree with me, just a suggestion. some people, like jake, have beautiful signatures, and it's great, just that i don't think it should get in the way of the drawing
I'm not a good artist, but i'm good at pretending to be one...

My DA: http://lordavatarz.deviantart.com/
<<

Brendan

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:00 am

Oh yeah .. a signature will ruin the composition :roll: .. the guy's an idiot ..
And your version ain't much better .. a signature in the margin will be covered by the matte .. and signing the back ?? what are you doing .. cashing a check ??

By the way, this is posted in the wrong forum. :wink:
<<

sir hobo

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:03 am

i love the tutorial avatarZ! you get 2 thumbs up :D
realistic art is true art
<<

Brendan

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:09 am

Re: signature

AvatarZ wrote:(now that i think of it, signatures are a bit disattracting)
i don't mind if u don't agree with me, just that i don't think it should get in the way of the drawing

Ha !! That's funny .. coming from a guy who covered his entire Mischa Barton drawing with a hideous watermark on DA !! :lol:
<<

froggy

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:55 am

and here i thought when i 1st saw that you posted something on the art tutorial section that you would teach me how to draw something..
i think the artist should do whatever she/he wants.. signatures are very important things to have especially to art collectors. some art collectors wouldn't buy an artwork that isn't signed even though its from an unknown artist (they're hoping one day you might get famous, then its like they won the lottery in buying your work). just make sure your work is an original before signing.
i think the placement of the signature is the important thing. an example are the ones in the covers of comic books (image, marvel) some of the artists there have witty ways to disguise their signatures. just get creative and don't let anybody tell you what you can and cannot do with your artwork... tell them to mind their own artwork.
<<

sir hobo

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:00 am

LOVE the tutorial Froggy!

sorry avatarZ but i think she's right :/
realistic art is true art
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:14 pm

As hypocritical as it may sound, I believe an artist should always sign their work. Not signing your work is more of a rule for commercial art, because the person paying to have the work done is advertising their product, not the artist. But a non commercial artwork should be signed. I've always found it disappointing to see a well done piece of art that is anonymous. To sign in the open white space could be distracting in itself. I would sign on the artwork.
I've never found it distracting.
My DA: http://phan-tom.deviantart.com/
Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

blurhead

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:34 am

There's some very good points raised here,
(Not sure if it is a tutorial though !)
Personally I have always struggled with signatures, i.e where to place them, whether I should sign it or not etc.
I have always viewed them as obtrusive or messy uptill recently.
When they are done well they can look good, and even become part of the artwork.
I recently made the decision however that I would not sign any of my drawings until such time as I actually sold the artwork, then I would sign it.
It would be good however to see a few examples on here as to how people sign their artwork, it would maybe make it more of a 'tutorial' subject.
<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:55 pm

Yeah, this is not a tutorial. This section was created for step by step explanations.

I don't agree with what your teacher told you. You are making the drawings, you should get credit for them with a signature. I think some signatures are annoying if they are large. I try to sign each work at the bottom right and keep it somewhat small.
<<

KLSADAKO

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:35 pm

I must be one of the few artist that never sign or date my work ^^ I know I should, but I dun want to ^^
<<

Brendan

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:34 pm

KLSADAKO wrote:I know I should, but I dun want to.

Ahh .. Ken - you rebel 8) ...
You don't have to sign your work .. it's instantly recognizable !
<<

bakereke

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:32 am

I think you should sign your art work. Anyway if you dont when your paintings are old and you are forgotten how will a new generation be able to tell it was your work??
Bakereke
cant type, cant spell... not much I can do!

www.mariebaker.co.uk
<<

fongwongchew

Brand New Member

Post Sun May 24, 2009 3:25 pm

Yea, I agree with Duey you should get credit for your art. But I don't have a very good signature. I'm trying to practice signing my name in cursive, but it's not going very well. No matter how hard I try I just can't write in cursive.
Who is a critique to criticize your art if he can't do any better him self...

Return to Materials and Techniques