[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - First drawings
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

First drawings

Moderator: duey

<<

CeejayShadow

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:13 am

First drawings

Hi all,

I posted my first drawings in the new members section and wasn't sure if it should have been here. Any feedback or criticism would be welcomed :)

CJ

and a much quicker sketchier piece without gridding (I did a few measurements for rough placement points of features, with a ruler):

Any feedback will be gratefully accepted and appreciated because I'm just starting out on another piece. (btw, the contrast isn't really representative on these scans as the RL drawings)
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Re: First drawings

Looks like you're off to a good start.
My DA: http://phan-tom.deviantart.com/
Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

CeejayShadow

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:48 am

Hey, coming from you I'll take that as pretty good praise :D I absolutely love all your stuff on DA. I was reading the art theft threads yesterday and getting a bit worked up on your behalf! I hate people like that...

Do you have any constructive criticism of my technique, or is it just a case of keep practicing to get better in gradual increments?

CJ
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:19 pm

Like Tom said,you've got some good moves going on there,just need to practice and hone your skills :D
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

CeejayShadow

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks Russ :) I just wish everyone in 'real life' I show my drawings to didn't keep telling me that I cheated by gridding or that 'it's not real art'...
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:20 pm

My DA: http://phan-tom.deviantart.com/
Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

CeejayShadow

Amateur
Amateur

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:26 pm

You're probably right. Some of the balls of steel the ones at the con-artist end of the scale show are incredible, like the guy who was being invited to every comic con and ripping off every artist under the sun with direct copies of their work claimed as his own. I'd be pissed off if I was one of the poor people that believed him and paid for his work.
<<

pillharrier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:14 am

These are great for first up. I especially like the first piece - interesting angle, good form. It's loosely shaded but it does work. You obviously have an eye for the proportions. You just need to practice now. Some of your shadow lines are too harsh and thick, but this will all come with time.
As has been said many times here before, draw what you see. Take a much closer and longer look at the subject and break it down into parts. It takes as much mental work as physical work.
http://pillharrier.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/markeversonpencilart
<<

CeejayShadow

Amateur
Amateur

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 pm

Thanks Pillharrier. The reference for the first piece was very washed out because she was stood in front of a window with bright sunlight coming through and I think the piece was intended to be very bright and ethereal. It definitely made it a challenge to copy. The second piece was much sketchier as it was only intended to be a line drawing practicing a different facial expression but I kinda ran away with it - the reference for that one was quite poor; strong flash, poor lighting etc.

I hope that I'll get better with time.
<<

CeejayShadow

Amateur
Amateur

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:25 pm

I might actually try and get a better scan/picture of the first piece Pillharrier (Mark isn't it?). I just went to look at it with your criticism in mind and remembered I scanned it before I framed it (while it was still in my pad) so the combination of the seal not being perfect and the scanner not being the best it definitely doesn't look as good on screen. The shading is more even, the contrast is better so some bits look less washed out while the strong shadows look less harsh.

This is the reference I used:

Looking at it now makes me wanna have another go at doing a better job, lol, but it wasn't the easiest piece to choose as my first I guess! #-o
<<

MichaelN

Addicted
Addicted

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:36 pm

If these are your first drawings, I'd say you're off to a great start, CJ. Well done.
Look forward to seeing more.

Mike

<<

CeejayShadow

Amateur
Amateur

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:38 pm

I appreciate it Mike, thanks :) At the moment I've got kinda a nightmare of a last couple of weeks left of a really hard Radiotherapy degree and as usual I'm itching to be drawing at the worst possible time. I started a couple of pieces last week so hopefully be able to get back to those in August.
<<

pillharrier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:52 am

Hi CeeJay.

Yes, it is Mark :) .

The ref helps and you have the proportions pretty spot on. Just chck her chin, I think it's more prominent than you have drawn it.

Mark
http://pillharrier.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/markeversonpencilart
<<

Shehany

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:59 pm

The first is the best :) I like your roughish style, but I think you should remove the outer line under the lip and around the nose and chin. That will make the face look more realistic. If you look at the reference-pic there is a lot of backlight which makes the outer face slightly blend into the background. Good luck, you made a great start,
Never look down on someone unless you are helping him up
<<

CeejayShadow

Amateur
Amateur

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks very much for the great feedback and constructive criticism everyone :) I hope that my next piece will be my best so far but i'm very ADD and when I eventually manage to sit down and work on something I tend to hyperfocus to the exclusion of all else and I have uni work to finish so I'm resisting picking up my pencils at the moment.

You've made me feel really welcome though so I'm really looking forward to having something new to post!

Return to Drawings