[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Pencil drawings: horse - little girl
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Pencil drawings: horse - little girl

Moderator: duey

<<

kallipooh

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Pencil drawings: horse - little girl

Hello there!

Thought I'd show you my most recent drawings.

I deliberately kept the jacket and the curls sketchy. It was meant to be an excercise but I think it looks ok like this. :)

I'd like to have some useful comments on these :) Thanks in advance.
<<

MichaelN

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: Pencil drawings: horse - little girl

Very nice drawings, Lore. I really like the work you did on the horse.

Mike

<<

Aecstà

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:42 am

I agree with Mike, good word on this horse. His head is really nice, the veins gives details of the drawing.
I like a little less the second drawing, but there is the technique.
I am French so I don't speak English very well, be gentle please.
<<

kallipooh

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:30 am

Both of you thanks for the reply, I'm glad you like it! And yes, with the second drawing it might be a matter of taste, I don't know :)
<<

Jonathan Ortiz

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:08 am

Great horse!

And I really liked the kid. It's very uncommon.

Thanks for sharing.
<<

kallipooh

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:00 am

Thanks Jonathan, good to hear :)
<<

pillharrier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:37 am

Yes, the horse is very well drawn. The muscle tone work is great. I think that the head maybe a little bit too short, but its difficult to say withotu a ref.
http://pillharrier.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/markeversonpencilart
<<

kallipooh

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:59 pm

I don't think the head is too short, I just checked the reference and it's just a horse with a short head, I think :)
<<

Rancid454SS

Brand New Member

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:40 pm

<<

kallipooh

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:19 am

Indeed!

Hm, I was wondering... A few people have commissioned a drawing but I have no idea what to ask for it.. What's your opinion on that?
<<

CeejayShadow

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:53 am

Look at Duey's pricing structure and try and mentally rebalance the figures based on a number of factors: Do you consider your finished work to be of the same quality and therefore deserving of the same ballpark figure? Can you complete a piece in the same time-frame? Are the commissioners friends of yours or acquaintances of a friend and therefore be expecting 'friends rates'? Does the subject matter interest you (i.e. is it something you'd enjoy drawing anyway)?

The thing to remember is that good quality commissioned art is NOT cheap. Most artists will point out when challenged over the cost of a commission that when broken down to an hourly rate for their time and effort the cost isn't that high and they aren't compensated particularly well for their time. And material cost has to be accounted for as well, as does your accommodation if you're supporting your lifestyle with your art.

I've had more than one conversation like this with acquaintances:

Them: Ooh that's good [that being my first proper piece that I was so proud of I showed everyone I knew practically, lol]
Me: Thanks very much. It took me far too long to do but one day I hope to be quicker and be able to take commissions.
Them: I'd buy one from you!
Me: [interested but reserved] I'd be willing to have a go but it wouldn't be cheap.
Them: Oh, no I understand that. I'd be willing to pay £50 or something.
Me: ...... #-o

So take the piece they were admiring: very early work for me and so not perfect but good enough that a few people have made comments along the lines of they'd buy it if it were for sale. Materials wise it cost me very little, say 50p in paper and £1 in pencil. But time-wise it took me about 25 hours and used up a lot of my available free time over the course of a few weeks. At that rate selling it for £50 would compensate my effort at a grand total of £1.94 an hour - not great I think you'll probably agree, lol. I've said to a few people that I'd consider selling it for £200 but anything less than that and I'd rather have a nice piece of artwork hanging on my wall that I not only enjoy looking at but can take pride in knowing I produced. Even at £200 that's only £7.76 an hour which isn't much considering in England minimum wage for a completely unskilled worker doing menial tasks is between £5 and £6 an hour.

If someone is going to commission you then they need to realise they're commissioning an original one-off piece of art and not buying a print. Although, saying that, if they are happy that you take a very high quality scan of the finished piece and sell prints of it on an unrestricted basis then that could allow you to charge less (but that only works with some subjects - no-one will want a print of someone else's baby for example).

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now and I hope some of that was vaguely useful :)

CJ
<<

pillharrier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:02 am

Some interesting comments on pricing.

I have been asked to do commissions and always find it dificult to put a price on my work. Quality, as mentioned, has a lot to do with it, but for some reason, people don't seem to want to pay a lot for high quality graphite art...when compared to oils or something!
Via my facebook page I had a random request for a commission last week to draw someone's children (two children on two seperate pieces). I decided I would like £150 per piece (each will probably take 80 hours) and the potential client agreed that this was a fair price, even though she would need to save up!
Bear in mind that I have a 'dayjob' and I draw as a hobby in the evenings, the money is just pocket money. Even so, I should probably ask for more...

Many commissions tend to be for people wanting their children or pets drawn/painted, and hence they are more interested in the subject than acquiring a piece of original art. Therefore, they don't expect to pay a huge amount. A better way to try to make proper money would be to produce some unique interesting works and display them in an exhibition...much easier said than done of course!
http://pillharrier.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/markeversonpencilart
<<

kallipooh

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:29 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write such clear replies!

I understand both points of view, and I agree.

For drawings like the one of the horse (graphite, 30x40cm) I ask €25, that's about £20. I feel good with that price because I don't spend many many hours on each drawing (about 5 or 6). I don't know if it's a good price, but that seems to be what people would want to spend on it. :)
<<

CeejayShadow

Amateur
Amateur

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:13 pm

if you're happy at that price then that's what counts :) I know our family has had a couple of similarly good drawings of horses on the wall for my entire life so they're definitely nice subjects for household art especially if there's a horse lover in the family. If you were making your living from commissions then I'd say 60 Euros would be a good price with the pieces taking 5-6 hours (extra for framed work). I'm rather jealous you can turn out such fine work in so little time!
<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:29 pm

I also think you did a great job on the horse, the only thing i would like to add is that the fur/hair could be a little more detailed and realistic, but anyway a very good drawing.

I also find your discussion on commissions very interesting.
For me it is already since a few month a part-time job and i really would like to make it for a living. And i also expirenced that private people who want the drawing as a gift or something are not willing to pay the price the drawing is worth. Most people who have no idea of drawings and drawing itself think a realistic portrait about the size of 20 to 30 cm costs around 50 euro, i take around 200 euro, of course it also depends on the motif and complexity factor.
You really have to get a name and that takes time.
But i also expirenced that magazines and collectors pay much better than private persons, but of course you need the luck to get those jobs.
Next

Return to Drawings