[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - My first real drawing!
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

My first real drawing!

Moderator: duey

<<

Dean

Brand New Member

Post Sun May 27, 2012 1:28 am

My first real drawing!

Long story short - About a month and a half ago I bought a Wacom pad for my computer and noticed the drawing program. One thing led to another and soon I had bought some Derwent pencils, sketch pad, etc and started drawing. Thanks to youtube and a beginners drawing book I have drawn a lamp (but not the table it sat on), a display clock (but not the floor it sat on), and even a McCormick red pepper flake seasoning container. I've done about 6 or 7 drawings. Before this, the last time drawing for 40 years ago with crayon and a coloring book. :D

But the pic below is my first "real" full drawing! Took me several hours a day for 4-5 days but had a great time. Still need to add the light to the lighthouse and do a few cleanup things but basically it is finished!

Let me know what your think.....strengths, weaknesses, whatever. It would be a great help to have input and critical review.

Thanks - Dean

<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun May 27, 2012 5:15 am

Re: My first real drawing!

Hi Dean,
You have chosen quite a difficult subject to draw, in the respect that there are lots of different elements, each of which all hold challenges of their own.
I think you have done well considering you have only been drawing for a short time.
Good proportions, perspective and layout of the drawing.
I would probably have made the rocks slightly lighter and the sea slightly darker, to really differentiate between the two.
And the housing at the top of the lighthouse, I would probably have the lit side brighter as it is with the main tower.

But overall, a really good effort, keep at it.
Looking forward to seeing some wonderful work from you.

And welcome to the forum . :)

<<

Chad V

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sun May 27, 2012 9:34 am

Looks very nice so far. Larc was spot on in all that he said. Water is a pain! Just remember ,, keep practicing
You can't be King of the world, if your slave to the grind.................
http://www.facebook.com/chadvstudio
http://chadvstudio.deviantart.com/
http://chadvstudio.weebly.com/
<<

Dean

Brand New Member

Post Sun May 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback! I don't know if it is a newbie thing or just me but I've noticed most of my drawings are on the dark side (value).

AS for proportions, perspective, and layout....that was the easy part as I used a reference picture :) But I have gone ahead and made a number of the suggested changes...although now my rocks look a bit washed out...may work on that a bit. Made the water darker and finished off the top of the lighthouse. Baring any further changes (might fiddle with the rock value a bit), I think Iam officially done except for my initials at the bottom.

Going to frame it and give to my sister who is moving away..a going away present. The drawing looks better than the scan to be honest...lol.

Below is the finished product as well as a BW of the original picture and a link to the original color picture for proper reference as I got it off the internet.

My drawing:

The original:
Link for reference - http://blakemaybank.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Peggys-Lighthouse-P1280192-B-22-10-2011-Peggys-Cove-HRM-Nova-Scotia-1024x768.jpg

<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun May 27, 2012 2:38 pm

Excellent, a couple of adjustments and you have made a lot of difference.
I'm sure your sister will love it, really well done.
Looking forward to seeing more. :)

Return to Drawings