[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Need some help
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Need some help

Moderator: duey

<<

susanj

Post Tue May 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Need some help

Just finished my second portrait and it my problem is I just want it to look exactly like a photo. Is it the fact that my paper is crappy or is it just practise ? you can be brutally honest. I have bought some Bristol Board now and that's what I am gonna use for the next one.

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed May 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Re: Need some help

Second portrait..that's very good,don't knock yourself the more you practise etc etc.
Paper quality makes all the difference as do pencils,but mainly experience matters most.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed May 23, 2012 6:10 pm

Fantastic drawing for your second attempt, Photo realism will only come with time and practice.
Give yourself a chance, you will get there.
Really well done. :)

<<

Chad V

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu May 24, 2012 12:02 am

It's very nice, especially for only your second attempt. Let me ask you this , if you want it to look just like a photo, why not just take a photo. IMHO, photo-realism is ok, but to me, it's the pencil strokes that give a drawing life. If you make it to where it doesn't look like a drawing, then why draw? I am not criticising you, just asking a question. Again, your portrait is very nice.
You can't be King of the world, if your slave to the grind.................
http://www.facebook.com/chadvstudio
http://chadvstudio.deviantart.com/
http://chadvstudio.weebly.com/
<<

Tanner05

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu May 24, 2012 12:44 am

<<

MichaelN

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu May 24, 2012 1:34 pm

I love photo realism drawings. To me, it is breath-taking when someone can take a pencil and paper and draw something that looks like
a b&w photo. No doubt, Russ and Larc-Romero are right about it taking experience and practice to be able execute the flawless smooth
blending of shading and tones and the ability to capture the likeness and exact expression in the eyes, etc. It is certainly what I hope to achieve. On the
other hand, I've seen some magnificent drawings that was all about the unique style, pencil strokes and artist's perception of the subject. Like Picasso
said, a painter "paints not what he sees, but what he feels." I think it is up to the artist and what he hopes to achieve.
Regardless, I think your drawing is very very good, Susan. Exceptional for your second effort.

Mike

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu May 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Some good valid points being made here,nice to see people getting involved.
Tanner,agree about achieving 'Your Style',learn the basics and the world is your Art-book.
Mike,Experience is not necessarily measured by time,more about tricks of the trade..this could be 'how to use an eraser' or simple 'face-wipes for blending'.
<<

susanj

Post Thu May 24, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice!! Everyone is so supportive here. Practise is what I need. :D

I get what you are saying too Chad and don't see it as criticism but a valid point. I think it's just that I'd like to be that good IYKWIM? To get to that level of realism is something to aim for and if that can be achieved then you know you can draw most things and your style can grow. I may be wrong.

Thank you everyone for your help and positive comments. Very much appreciated!! :D
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu May 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Sue,she strangely looks like my daughter! :shock:
<<

susanj

Post Fri May 25, 2012 12:25 am

Really Russ? She is my eldest....when she was about 8 I think. She's now 13!!@ and it's a freakin' headache!! :roll:
<<

pillharrier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri May 25, 2012 3:47 am

Hi Susan

I agree that this is an excellent start for only your 2nd portrait. There are some mistakes but plenty of potential. You have way too much contrast between the facial skin and the neck skin for example. Maybe the reference picture looks like this?
Also, the skin on the neck looks rushed to me. It is one of those elements of a portrait that gets drawn at the end and inevitably gets rushed to complete the piece. You need to spend as much time on each element as is needed. Just because the neck is a large expanse of tone, doesnt mean it can be shaded over quickly. Take your time with small strokes, and fill in small areas at a time.

Good luck.

Mark
http://pillharrier.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/markeversonpencilart

Return to Drawings