[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Tell me what doesn't look good in this
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tell me what doesn't look good in this

Moderator: duey

<<

ceichen

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Tell me what doesn't look good in this

Hey @ all, this is actually my first post and I also just started with the drawing because I need it for.... anyway, here's my first attempt of a portrait, I found it on the internet because I didn't have a model. So, what I did was just draw away without much preparation, I bought a book and everything but that didn't help, really, because the grid that is adviced for beginners to use; I just don't know how to alter it according to the angel the face is turning away, if you know what I mean. So what I did pretty much was measuring with a ruler the distances between things and roughly sketh it on the paper, then I drew. I sometimes look at it and hate it, sometimes I think it reselbles the picture, but at the end of the day it is my first picture and I want to become better. Everything I read about I mixed into it, techniquewise like blending kneaded rubbering smudging... I tried a little of this and that everywhere. So, please, full blast, brutal truth without holding back, what am I doing next? I really could use some advice, otherwise I might just learn how to repeat mistakes. BTW the thing I hate most about it are the ear and the hair!!

<<

Tanner05

Addicted
Addicted

Post Tue May 01, 2012 1:17 am

Re: Tell me what doesn't look good in this

Do you have the reference picture?
That will help us give you the best critiques.
<<

ceichen

Post Tue May 01, 2012 10:34 am

yes, I will provide the direct link where I got it from:

thank you!
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue May 01, 2012 1:13 pm

I think you have done remarkably well considering it's a nightmare picture to draw,not quite sure why you put highlights on her arm and neckline? You cannot become that skillful overnight,it takes slightly longer I'm afraid.But,as i said..you've done brilliant! now start practicing.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue May 01, 2012 2:16 pm

One bit of advice I can give is that irises should be drawn as perfectly round, when the subject is looking straight at the viewer, and the pupils should be perfectly centered within the iris.
My DA: http://phan-tom.deviantart.com/
Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

ceichen

Post Tue May 01, 2012 8:31 pm

why is it a nightmarepicture to draw? the reason I chose this one is actually because it was high enough of a resolution so i could see the tones. i just have to draw a portrait of my girlfriend at the end of may, so that is why i had to become good at it fast!
so ok, we have the eyes, i got that, what else? what do you mean by highlight on arm and neck? i didn't do that on purpose, or at least i wasn't thinking about highlighting it, it just happened.
what would you suggest to practice? whole portraits, parts or shading exercises? i know this might be a stupid question to ask, since everybody has his or her own way, but i was thinking that you might be able to tell me where i should put my focus on after seeing my attempt. thank you guys for your help!
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue May 01, 2012 9:19 pm

How old is your girlfriend..same age as the practice picture? The reason i said it was nightmare piece was because of the detail,you cannot be expected to draw that having only just started out,to replicate that you would need to sit through thirty+ hours and would have done a grid.It's not just technical ability..it's seeing what you are drawing,that alone is something you'll need to work on.How can you not see the highlights on her arm..does it look the same as the reference pic?
Practice with someone that resembles your girl,face tones etc..post on here and we will help you along the way.
Decent paper,assorted pencils,eraser and a ruler.
<<

ceichen

Post Tue May 01, 2012 10:35 pm

no, my girlfriend is not that old :lol:
there is only one artsupplystore where i live, the pencils i used are called sketching pencils and the brand is called artist's loft, the paper i was using is called xl recycled skech canson and the blending stumb i build myself and the rubber is a prismacolor plastic and kneaded eraser. and i have three charcoal pencils from the dollarstore, with one of them i drew the shirt.
and yes, now i know what you mean by highlight, i just thought of something else before... never mind.
like i said, i didn't really think anything when i started this picture, which i spent about 9 hours drawing, 3 three hour days.

so ok, i found the method here with the grid, which is awesome but honestly that sounds like a lot of work that i might not have time for, i will just do the same technique with measuring the distances again, then i will post it and if you are kind enough you can help me in developement. i hope it's not asking too much but are you able to provide a picture for practicing? my girlfriend is 21 years old, regular white skin and brown hair.
thank you community, you are great!
<<

MichaelN

Addicted
Addicted

Post Wed May 02, 2012 1:02 am

<<

ceichen

Post Thu May 03, 2012 12:33 pm

Ok, so I think I found a picture that I can practice with.

or this one:

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu May 03, 2012 1:07 pm

So,what complexion is nearest your Girlfriends? Hair?
<<

ceichen

Post Thu May 03, 2012 1:32 pm

the second one, definitely. but it's colored. maybe I can try to make it black and white. im starting with the second one right now.

@russ: i just looked at your facebooklink and I really like the dakota blue picture. especially how you drew the hair. does the technique you used have a name to it or is that something you came up with yourself?
<<

ceichen

Post Thu May 03, 2012 2:44 pm

So, I drew the outlines... I'm not quite sure about the nose, though... what do you think?

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu May 03, 2012 4:08 pm

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu May 03, 2012 4:11 pm

Remember what i said about drawing what you SEE,not what you think you see,her nose doesn't have that bold outline,and neither does her lips..now get your eraser and follow the pencil line and erase them back to hardly anything.
Next

Return to Drawings