[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - First Person drawing
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

First Person drawing

Moderator: duey

<<

Theyoungster

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:11 pm

First Person drawing

This one is Sitting Bull. The famous Indian Chief. He needs better shading on his face and I need to work on hair. Hair has kept me away from drawing people so I'm trying to find reference photo's that dont have alot of hair highlights. Got to start small :) . I was also doing a little experimenting and did the hair differently.

This is Geronimo another famous Indian Chief. Because the reference photo is so old some of the spots on the image didnt appear very well, such as his hands.

Please comment and share your opinions. Remember these are my first portraits.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: First Person drawing

You have a certain nieve charm with these,but,you will not progress unless you work in a more clinical fashion.Do a grid,and slowly you will start realising the face contours are in the relevant place.It will also help with tonal changes.
If these were found on a rock-face in America,the media would be going crazier than "Crazy-Horse"! :D
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Theyoungster

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Is that all you guys and girls have to say about people's art is to "use a grid"? Ive been working on drawing for the past year and have come a long ways. I've been working and progressing just fine with out grids. Grids arent my style. I like free handing everything. Im learning how to shade and blend things together just fine. It may be taking longer than just using a grid but im learning. Maybe try actually pointing out things in the drawing so I know what to work on. Is it the eyes? The chin? The mouth? The hair? Thats what I need. Not "Use a grid. It will help." I'am aware that it will help me.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:58 pm

If you ask for help then take it,if you have all the answers then advise others,if that is how far you have come after a years drawing then you are clearly not realising your problems or mistakes,none of us get paid for doing this,respect our thoughts or just say NO CRITIQUES REQUIRED :x
<<

Theyoungster

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:12 pm

No one is telling me what I need to work on. Thats my problem. Im always open to everyone's advise but when you guys and girls say the same thing its getting me nowhere. These are my first portraits. Yes they need work. I would like to have people point out the minor details and tell me what to work at.
<<

Theyoungster

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:19 pm

and when i say "say the same thing" i mean you guys and girls say use a grid. I dont like grids. Im improving everytime. Im always experimenting. I'll just ask other artist for help.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:26 pm

<<

Theyoungster

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:38 pm

Im done. Im going to go find another forum to find help. Know wonder this site has gone down.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:42 pm

<<

Theyoungster

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Thanks for the luck. :D
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:52 pm

One problem is that your drawing isn't symmetrical .

If you start off with some vertical and horizontal lines
(These can be done freehand, and lightly with pencil)
You'll eliminate one problems immediately.

Here it is without the lines.

I also recommend watching this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPjADiBTAIg
My DA: http://phan-tom.deviantart.com/
Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

Theyoungster

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks! Thats what im looken for!
<<

Tanner05

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:09 am

The features need to be softened. Whether you need to use a blending stick or some other method is up to you.

When you build the tones for shading it gives the drawing more depth. That is the most important thing I have learned from this site in my very short time here. Shading is the key.
The eyes also need more attention. Try using a close up reference for your next drawing and take the time to put in as much detail as patiently as you can. It will really help build your skills.

As for recieving advice, Russ did attempt to give you advice. He feels if you use a grid it will help you. There is no reason to criticize him for that.

Be prepared though. When you dont use a grid your progress will be much slower. I have never used a grid and you can tell when you compare my drawings to other artist in this forum. Mine will probably always be a little off. Whereas theirs can be nearly perfect. Its all in what you are going for.

I hope any of my tips helped you. Btw, the drawings are a good start. You certainly have a good foundation to build on and this forum will help. :)
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:51 am

When most of us tell you to use a grid its because your not getting your proportions right. Most think if they start griding they wont stop.
When really you only have to have the squares for the face to get your proportions right.

Go here and her Tutorial will help you learn to draw with out a grid. Ilojleen has many so GET THEM ALL! here are just a few.
Tutorial:the right proportions
http://ilojleen.deviantart.com/gallery/4659239#/d49nlqe

Tutorial: how to draw noses?
http://ilojleen.deviantart.com/gallery/4659239#/d33xg7u

Then use her way and see how far off your drawings really are.
Hope these help.
Feeling like a freak on a leash.
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:55 am

Hi ya,
When drawing free hand you still need to measure where, in this case facial features, are in relation to each other.
Now you can use a grid which is simplest, or like myself you may want to eye things up and then and adjust as you go along.
In order to do this I use an "anchor point", usually one of the eyes, measuring down and across using a ruler or sometimes just a pencil flat on its side.
Any time something looks out f line, the eye acts as a fixed point of reference.

Lets compare your drawing to the original:

Compared side by side-

Now lets convert your drawing to a line drawing-

And finally, lets overlay your drawing onto the original-

Ok, Hopefully this will help you see where you are out.
Using HIS left eye as an "Anchor point" you can see that the bottom of the chin is in roughly the right place, but because the nose doesn't come down far enough,
it means the mouth too is out of position.

Using free hand is great, and saying "I never use a grid" is fine, but remember, grid or no grid measurements are important for accurate representation of a subject.
I think you will find that if you were to start off using a grid, it would help you learn to see the relationship of features/shapes to each other.
When you stop using a grid, your mind will compensate by superimposing a grid with your imagination.

Obviously there are other methods too, so do what feels comfortable to you.
Hope this helps. :)

Next

Return to Drawings