[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - An Interesting Face - finished...or not as the case may be.
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

An Interesting Face - finished...or not as the case may be.

Moderator: duey

<<

pillharrier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:45 pm

An Interesting Face - finished...or not as the case may be.

I'm at that all too familiar stage. I know I've not finished, but I'm not sure how much difference anymore tweaking will make. So, I will put it to one side for sometime and view it with fresh eyes in a month or so. I'm 80% happy with it, the areas of concern are the beard and forehead. Also, the stark black of the background contrasts too much with the rest of the piece. I used Staedtler mars lumograph 8B and 7B and they are very dark and oily. Much more so than any of the other brands I used. At the interface of the head and the background, the different brands just wouldn't blend together.

And finally, when I removed the maskin gape from the border, half the bristol board came up with it :evil: . Cheap masking tape? Or on for too long?

http://pillharrier.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/markeversonpencilart
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Re: An Interesting Face - finished...or not as the case may be.

Well done Mark,one battle done at least for a while anyway.The masking tape will glue itself if left for a long period of time,or,in my case if you work from a conservatory,the heat can bind it in a couple of weeks,so i have to keep changing the stuff.
I think the Artwork looks perfect,and am sure,even better in real life =D>
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Excellent work on the skin tones and textures.
his left hand seems a little light, and looks like it needs a darker shadow where it goes just under the arm of his glasses.
But don't get me wrong, I'm just giving you food for thought, overall I think it is great.

Really well done. :)

<<

pillharrier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:48 am

Thanks Gents.

Yeah, I will not make the masking tape error again in future, Russ. I work at the rear of a room away from sunlight sources so thought it would peel away easily. I guess 5 months or so is too long.

Carl - I take your point totally about the hand. But it looks strangely like this on the ref (check back the old thread). I think the light source in the actual photograph has caused this. Look how dark it is above the arm of the glasses. weird. But thanks for the critiscm, it's exactly what I'm after.

Mark
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:29 am

<<

Kirby

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Wow, this is amazing! I am completely envious of your patience! :shock:
<<

ShawnaCT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:33 pm

This turned out so good mate. (id buy ya a brew if i could) you should be extreamly proud. you realy brought the picture to life. love all the details.
:D
always a fan
shawna
with my head firmly in the clouds, i let my pencils sing and dance.
live well, love much ,smile often
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:37 am

I'm just floored. Your work is like a shock and awe.The time you put in this and the detail. Man! You are exceptionally gifted!
Feeling like a freak on a leash.
<<

pillharrier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:02 am

Some incredibly generous comments - thanks to all of you! Words like this make me want to draw more! :)
<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:59 am

This is an outstanding piece of work! And i would not worry about his forehead, i think it looks just fine. Defined the right way, great details and the right amound of blurryness. What do you want to change about the beard??

Return to Drawings