[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Tiger drawing. Start to finish
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tiger drawing. Start to finish

Moderator: duey

<<

Theyoungster

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:37 pm

Tiger drawing. Start to finish

This is a drawing I finished about 2 weeks ago of a tiger walking through snow. It took me about 5 hours of work. 14x17.

This one has a glare on the top left corner.

Please share your opinions and criticism.
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: Tiger drawing. Start to finish

I dig it, but I do have to say that you and I both need to practice our shading. lol.
If they wouldn't of done......what I told em not to do, they'd still be alive.
<<

Theyoungster

Amateur
Amateur

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:24 am

My drawings right now are really just practice. Im learning something new everytime so yeah I need to work on somethings.
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:49 am

You got the line drawing down practice shading. Your getting better:) Every drawing you do you will still learn something. =D>
Feeling like a freak on a leash.
<<

Theyoungster

Amateur
Amateur

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:59 am

<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:47 am

<<

Theyoungster

Amateur
Amateur

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:49 am

Thats so sick! Yeah I see the difference, thanks for sharing.
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:29 am

Okay easy way for you to learn this is take a pencil scribble a solid 2 inch by 2 inch black square on a piece of paper. Use a facial pad cotton ball or got an old scrap t shirt? cut a square out of it any size you want. T shirt way wrap it around your index finger and rub the black square see how it moves the graphite? okay now move down a half inch scribble it black again and rub with the t shirt. See how its now darker. okay now move down a half inch scribble it black again and rub with the t shirt. See how its now even darker. repeat till your done. Should come out that your darker area is the bottom. It has more graphite its called layered your graphite. That how you shade you blend the graphite into the paper and layer another coat over it. Now grab an eraser. Eraser one single line down the center. Your eraser will be dirty clean on shirt. That called cutting a line in your graphite that's how you draw hair. The more white lines you cut the more strands. Now do that as many times as you want then take the pencil and add a darker line along a few of the white ones. Take the shirt rub till its the color you want if you want it dark leave it blend if you want it lighter see how smooth it looks you get tones no lines. That's it that blending.:) Do not use your finger to blend you will leave oil from your fingers. Mine took over a month to finish.
<<

Theyoungster

Amateur
Amateur

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:41 am

Thank you so much! You're awesome!
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:04 am

As long as you haven't sprayed this you can keep going with this its very good practice. Are you using a pencil set or just one pencil?
<<

Theyoungster

Amateur
Amateur

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:25 am

Im have about 3 sets of different brands haha. I used a 2H and HB for this drawing. Applying different amounts of pressure.
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:51 am

h are for light color example skin tones. in you tiger you would use then for the ends where its lighter or almost white ( i don't use them very often at all)
B are for the rest example your tigers stripes blacks are blacks each one will give you a different black. You would blend back from the white to the hb to b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7 b8 b9 that will give you the tones blending with each different pencil. You just using to light of a pencil to try to get black. That's all. Try the blending with the t shirt example with the b pencils if you don't have 7 8 9 pencils its okay.
Have a go at it and you will see.
<<

LARSMUR

Amateur
Amateur

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:47 am

I like it! Tigers are really one of the most beautiful animals! :p
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:05 am

If they wouldn't of done......what I told em not to do, they'd still be alive.
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Drawing an outline of what your drawing doesn't take you a long time. Right? IT only takes a couple hours to draw an outline if that.

How is it my drawings take about a month to finish?
Its because I blend my drawings. My drawings are not line drawings. I give them tones and depth. What is a line drawing? Best example is all the pictures in a coloring book.

What take the most time is the blending. I blend with square facial pad that you clean your face with the size is 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 cotton pad. It also remove the lines from your graphite giving you a smooth look or TONES. LOL I don't reuse them once I used it I toss it in the trash. The best example of oil from your fingers on a drawing is just use a piece of printer paper. Draw on scribble all over it blend it with your fingers then you will see your finger prints that you can't erase them.

As for stumps and tortillions --------> You clean them with that little pad of sand paper you get with most pencil sets. After its just like new again.

How you layer is you put the graphite on say your using a b2 pencil you blend it off to get the tone. If you want it darker you use the next pencil B3 doing the same over and over but with different pencil blending each time then b4 then b5 then b6 then b7 then b8 then b9. If you cheat thinking hey I will jump from a b2 pencil to a b6 we all will know you did because the graphite wont cover correctly and will show both colors in and uneven fashion.

how I get my skin tones is I draw the face 1st since it is the lightest thing if I'm drawing a person. I use a mechanical pencil with no 2 lead or HB pencil. The same pencil I use for my grid lines. I don't erase any of my lines for the grid.
I blend them into the tones for the face. if I want them darker I still use the (Same pencil) mechanical pencil with no 2 lead If I went to dark I use a eraser pencil and blend some more moving the graphite around with the facial pad.
Next

Return to Drawings