[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - New pictures in colored pencil
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New pictures in colored pencil

Moderator: duey

<<

rush90gt

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:49 pm

New pictures in colored pencil

The first 5 pictures I drew freehand.
The following is when I begin using the grid method
The Mach1 is the last picture I completed.
And the general lee and frog were freehand as well, but I tried my hand at colored pencils.
Last edited by rush90gt on Sun May 27, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: more cars and trucks in graphite and a frog in color pencil

Gene,you need to slow down and look at some tutorials,your skills are very good but they need refining,hopefully Chad will take charge of you and show you what you need.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

rush90gt

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Re: more cars and trucks, plus another truck

I agree with you completely on the slowing down. When I get the chance to work on a picture, I like to try and finish it in one sitting. But since I've been using the grid method I can make larger pictures, which do not allow me to finish quickly. This next picture isn't completed yet, the tires created more of a challenge then I anticipated. The next tool I aquire will deffinitely be ellipse stencils. Again thanks for you comments and if any one else sees where they can offer advice or criticism please do so.
Oh sorry for the horrible picture quality.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:09 pm

Ellipse stencils are a must have item,along with a decent ruler,and patience.Make sure you read other threads on 'Car Drawings',Chad is probably the best on here,and i drew a car last year if you want to take a look.
http://dueysdrawings.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7902&start=0
<<

rush90gt

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:39 pm

<<

Chad V

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:07 pm

I too, like your Jag, Russ!!! The contrast is what is striking!! As far as my weapons of choice, pencils and such that is, here is what I use. I use a .05 mechanical pencil with 2b lead ( i actually bought the pencils in a two pack at Wal-mart for 3 dollars, and the lead at office depot, but they are comfortable for me and go with my "style"). Wood pencils, 2h and 4h, 2b,4b,and 6b. A kneaded eraser and several plastic erasers and a buncha buncha blending stumps. I have a circle template but don't use it very often. When I need a fine line I just use a scrap of paper and rub my pencil on it to get a fine tip, and I do that as often as needed. I have been drawing on and off my whole life, but with going through my divorce and all , I have had the time to put into my drawings as opposed to other things. The best things I can tell you Rush, is like Russ said, take your time and I will add, draw what your passionate about. As you can tell my passion is and has been for over 25 years, Corvettes and Camaros.
And by the way, I think the front tire on that last truck was excellent!! The shading and all makes it pop! However, the perspective on the back tire (tyre, for you Russ!! :D ) is a little off.........Keep on though, they're looking better, and thats the true test, each one better than the last.
You can't be King of the world, if your slave to the grind.................
http://www.facebook.com/chadvstudio
http://chadvstudio.deviantart.com/
http://chadvstudio.weebly.com/
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Agree Chad,that last truck drawing could be awesome..love the angles and the 'aggressiveness' of it,don't mess with me motherfu**a! But,yes,the TYRES need sorting :wink:
And it's me who uses a 0.2mm mechanical,I wouldn't recommend one for your work unless you venture into draughtsman's quality.
<<

rush90gt

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:49 pm

I greatly appreciate your comments Chad. I myself have been drawing off and on since elementary school. Muscle cars and tractor trailers have been the subject of my art since the very beginning. I was constantly harrassed by teachers and admin. for my lack of attention in non art related classes. I've collected all of my art that wasn't given away or stolen since around 1995. I can see the improvement, even more so within the last few months. Thanks for the help and I am looking forward to seeing more of your work Chad, I will post another picture when I finish. As for the tire I've noticed( I started taking pics during the drawing process) that in photographs of my work things like that back "tar" ( so my relatives can understand I'm talking about the tire/tyre) stick out. But I didn't look at the photograph before I posted it.
<<

Chad V

Addicted
Addicted

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:14 pm

Here is a drawing I did about 1 1/2 years ago. As you see, the tires and wheels are a bit goofy and the grill leaves a bit to be desired. I don't like to use a straight edge or a template if I don't have to, and sometimes it really shows!! But that's just me. I was just showing you, Rush, that we all gotta start somewhere..... :D
You can't be King of the world, if your slave to the grind.................
http://www.facebook.com/chadvstudio
http://chadvstudio.deviantart.com/
http://chadvstudio.weebly.com/
<<

rush90gt

Addicted
Addicted

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:08 pm

I understand very well Chad. The GTO looks great. I finished the chevy truck I was working on, made a few small changes, but I was ready to be done and happy with the final result. I started another picture last night.
I found some carbon paper so I'm gonna try to complete this outline and transfer it to another sheet. I'm gonna go nice and slow on this one because I want to have nice clean lines. the reference picture has some nice relections that should look really nice if I can get it right.
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: updated with finished 4x4 and wip corvette

Slow down. Its not how fast you draw its the finished picture. Your drawing pictures faster then I can keep up with them.
Feeling like a freak on a leash.
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:54 am

Wow. If he is going fast then I must be going light speed. lol. Cars are looking great. Batman is my favorite DC char so I love the Bat Mobile you did. Looks exactly like Michael Kieton's. Also I can't wait to see the finish of your current WIP. I think the lines will look crisp. Good luck.
If they wouldn't of done......what I told em not to do, they'd still be alive.
<<

rush90gt

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:29 pm

Booters I don't feel like I'm going that fast. I currently have a very flexible schedule due to the economy, so I have ample time to contribute to my drawing. I spent probally one and a half days on the first 3 pictures I posted using the grid method. After those pictures the time I spent doubled. With this last truck I spent close to 5 days which is a record for me. I'm learning to work for a short time, then I'll hang the picture up and look at it from a distance, go work on my honey do list and then come back and work another short time before repeating. thanks for the comments.

N.BANKS1 thanks for the compliments, I'm working on getting some of my smaller pictures scanned so they won't look so fuzzy. The batmobile from the 80's Michael Keaton movie is my favorite followed by the origional 1966 batmobile. I'm looking for a good reference for that one, as well as ecto1 from the ghostbusters movies. thanks again
<<

rush90gt

Addicted
Addicted

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Re: updated with partially complete general lee

Well I became uninterested in my work on the corvette I started, but decided I was ready to draw one of my favorite cars of all time. I also decided it was time to make a whole hearted attempt with my color pencils. I have the car finished but am still working on the background and foreground. It took me around 3 hours to complete the outline, and I have worked about 16 hours on just the car. I am very happy with the way the car came out. I have several places where I feel it could have been better but that all comes back to my complete lack of patience.

I'm thinking about doing maybe a field of some sort behind the car, and then for the foreground I have started with asphalt, but I want to make the asphalt meet a dirt/clay road.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Why does it only have one headlight?
Next

Return to Drawings