[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - New to the forum-some of my "portfolio...
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New to the forum-some of my "portfolio...

Moderator: duey

<<

ohpossum

Brand New Member

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:54 pm

New to the forum-some of my "portfolio...

I've been drawing for several years, but have recently wanted to improve the quality of my work. I have not been to any formal training since elementary school, if that counts as formal, just enjoy drawing.
For years, people have encouraged me to try to sell something, but I never really felt confident enough to do it. I seldom completed more than one or two sketches per year, but since this last fall, I have probably completed nearly 20, and have been encouraged enough that I have begun the process of registering a business specifically to sell my work. I'm posting several of my recent drawings. I like drawing vehicles; the only thing I enjoy more than drawing motorcycles is riding them. I still struggle with perspective. I have traced the outlines of some pictures, then finished everything within the outlines (and I'm not ashamed to admit it, though I'm sure many don't consider that art). Others I have learned to use a grid type method, which is obvious in some of my examples, and of course, my favorites are the ones that were freehanded and came out fairly well. I primarily want to do portraits though, as I personally find them less nerve racking than the vehicles and some of the structures. Sorry for the wordy introduction (another of my weaknesses), so rather than tie up too much space here, I'll post some of my favorites and the link to my Picasa album.

Thanks for the opportunity to display! Comments welcome!
Last edited by ohpossum on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If the other rider ain't wavin', it ain't me ridin. Ride Safe, Ride!
<<

ohpossum

Brand New Member

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: New to the forum-some of my "portfolio...

Well, that didn't quite work out as planned, but I think I have had trouble before, trying to link to Picasa albums. Technical advice welcome, as well. #-o
<<

Plissken

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:02 pm

This is all nice, but trust me, you will not get much attention here
until you post at least a thumbnailed view of your drawings.

I am not sure about the technical advice, I was never registered to Picasca.
Try to find a forum version of the link.
See my drawings and digital paintings now!!!

Or else, drunk Mel Gibson will come to your house and beat you up!
<<

ohpossum

Brand New Member

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Thanks! I'll keep at it!
I'm slow, but I'll get there.
Ok, think I got it. My carpal tunnel isn't doing so hot, though!
<<

Plissken

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:12 pm

Well you have posted your drawings. And now what?
What are your goals? Making money from this quality is almost impossible,
cause no one will pay for it except maybe your cousins. You are struggling with
perspective? I think that you have no idea about perspective, so you definitely
cannot struggle with it yet. Did you read any books about perspectives? One point,
two point, and multiple point perspectives? Did you tried to do
any training specifically for perspective studies?
Do you know what is the right training to improve your perspective understanding?
On dueysdrawings.com, you will get a few "good job", "sharpen your pencil"
or "change your paper type" replies and nothing else. There are not many of them
active here, and those who are active, they are not always willing to help or to be open minded.
This board is something like a twilight zone, a guy named Brian Duey who is the
owner and most probably the founder of this forum, who is like Houdini for the
last 4 years. He disappears and never shows up again. Or actually he could not disappear
cause he never showed up in a first place. The guy has a lot of respect for the users
posting on his name baring forum. My hats off to him. I hope he makes a lot
of money. A true Loch Ness creature. Either way, try to use some tools for drawing
your circles and ellipses , cause there are very few people on the planet who can
do it freehanded.
See my drawings and digital paintings now!!!

Or else, drunk Mel Gibson will come to your house and beat you up!
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:51 pm

Plissken,I've always had a soft spot for you and your way of looking alternatively at people,i think it's now time you changed your approach or your attitude.You really don't offer anything worthy of Artistic development,just criticism for the sake of spoiling.Help,or post your 'latest',or just FO.
ohpossum,I'm glad you did this numerically,it helps,I can see your development. Moving from a tattoo artist to a real Artist (without heavy outlines) is progress,and you will only get better! :D
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:57 pm

I like your drawings. They all look good to me. Hoping I can get to that level some time soon. Love what your doing. Be you and do what you do.
Last edited by N.Banks1 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If they wouldn't of done......what I told em not to do, they'd still be alive.
<<

ohpossum

Brand New Member

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Hey, Thanks for the prompt responses!
Russ-One thing I have wanted to improve on was getting away from the outlines, and that is virtually my trademark, but I am conscious of it and attempting to improve.
N.Banks1-Don't know if I'll ever achieve "fine" art, but I want to learn more, and appreciate the forum space. I hope to be posting occasionally.
Plissken-Thanks for the recommendation on circles and ellipses! I agree and will follow up on that.
Sorry if I took your parking spot at Hobby Lobby, but my cousin called and asked for a drawing on short notice. I needed some tracing paper.
<<

ohpossum

Brand New Member

Post Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Here are some more recent sketches...

I don't currently have any WIP's, but enjoy working on portraits when I have time.

Return to Drawings