[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - My "Portfolio"
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

My "Portfolio"

Moderator: duey

<<

Tanner05

Addicted
Addicted

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:39 am

Re: My "Portfolio"

It looks like you need to even out the skin tones. It is important to go over the skin and get it shaded lightly all over before moving onto deeper tones.
When you can get that look down and really build on the tones gradually, instead of going dark too far, its a much smoother even texture.

Hope that makes sense.
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:50 am

If they wouldn't of done......what I told em not to do, they'd still be alive.
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:49 pm

This is my reference Picture.

This is my picture as of now. Please be gentle to me. hahahaha.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Why did you use a reference picture like that,if you want to be serious and learn how to draw,throw away the book and look at the tutorials. #-o
#1,Choose something easy and something you're interested in.
#2,Do a grid.
#3,Use an hb pencil and plot your outline,do not press hard!!
#4,Use a ruler as an extra guide and carefully position the eyes (if a portrait)
#5,Do not shade anything yet.
#6,Post progress. :D
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:44 pm

<<

Tanner05

Addicted
Addicted

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:23 am

The best advice I ever received was from my HS art teacher.
She said, "Don't draw with lines. Draw with shadows."

Get an idea of where you need those darker tones and build them up, you will be surprised just how quickly that brings together a drawing.
I have seen pictures where the eyes were not quite center, but the artist fooled the viewer into thinking the art was very good all with shading.

I can also understand your hesitation in wanting to use a ruler or grid, I have never used either. It really all depends on what style you are going for.
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:06 am

<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:29 am

positive spaceImage negative space

To Quote N.Banks1 "Well see I am drawing with negative spaces"

No your not. Negative spaces don't have hair, eyes, nose, ears ONLY AN outline.

You need to pick one and stick with it Until you can do it or just going to progress very slowly in that book.
The book your reading doesn't show you how to really shade. And is trying to tell you to draw shapes not what your drawing. IT will not help you to draw comics. If you want to draw them you would need to learn how to do gesture drawing. Also if you drawing in pencil why would you use a color photo? [-X
Feeling like a freak on a leash.
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:57 am

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:12 am

Check out the first couple of pages and tell me what the difference is with doing a grid and your way?
http://dueysdrawings.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9521
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:40 am

<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:44 am

This thread is developing nicely, I feel someone will explode soon. :D

@Russ: Deep breath mate. :)

@Debbie: Don't give up on this guy. :)

@N.Banks1: No disrespect meant, but I'm not sure you are ready for that book yet.

You seem to be making things more complicated than is necessary, maybe taking in too much irrelevant information (for now) to achieve something simple.
To achieve a reasonable photo realistic drawing follow these simple steps:

1. Grid a grey-scaled photo.
2. Grid a piece of plain drawing paper.
3. Draw exactly what you see in each square, to create a line drawing.
4. Erase grid, or leave if very light.
5. Have a cup of tea.
6. Starting with darkest areas first, build up your values.
7. Graduate your tones to the lightest areas, blu-tac your highlights if needed.
8. Post & LISTEN to the comments.
9. Smile

Now, I don't mean that to sound sarcastic (although reading it back it does sound a little sarcastic, sorry)
I meant it to sound simple, which it is.
Creating textures and adding your own stamp, that is where the fun begins, but lets get the basics down first.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I mean it as a simple begginers guide.

Russ, Phan-Tom, Booters, Brendan, Canadian Maple and many others (forgive me for not mentioning you all) have helped me immensely, to get where I am today.
I started on this site about 18-ish months ago, I thought I would be drawing my pension before I could draw a portrait.
The most valuable thing I have learned is to LISTEN, the help is here, you just have to want it.

I hope you understand what I'm saying, I look forward to seeing more from you. :)

<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:39 am

<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:03 pm

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:11 pm