[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - My "Portfolio"
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

My "Portfolio"

Moderator: duey

<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: My "Portfolio"

If they wouldn't of done......what I told em not to do, they'd still be alive.
<<

rush90gt

Addicted
Addicted

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Your dragon looks good. I haven't been successful with color pencils myself, but I have noticed when I used them that if there is alot of graphite on the paper it can mix in with the color pencil creating kind of a smear/ smudge effect. I end up taking another piece of paper and color until the tip of the cp is clean.
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:00 pm

<<

ShawnaCT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:31 pm

With my scales i did a ton of color variance. most of my shading was done with the "main" graphite drawing before i even started to add the color. but there are many ways to get the same efect.
best wishes
shawna
with my head firmly in the clouds, i let my pencils sing and dance.
live well, love much ,smile often
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:03 am

<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:09 am

Ok so I used my wife as a reference picture right. Now I know what your thinking. "That looks like a guy." Well what happened was I drew her mouth to far down from her nose so it looks like she has a giant mustache. hahahahaha. I laughed so hard.
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:07 pm

This is the second indian Ink picture I have completed. I think it looks good. I think they both look good.
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:43 pm

For your Dragon. I think you should ink it. Then put the color pencil over it or watercolor. If you ink it use india ink so your color pencil or watercolor will not run into it if it gets wet. Sharpies will run. Leaving you with a mess. If you watercolor it use masking tape on all 4 sides and tape it to a smooth board depending on what kind of paper you drew it on. So when it drys it will dry flat. If sketch pad was used you might have problems because the paper is too thin to be wet for long amounts of time.. Then your best bet would be to just have use color pencils. See it really is all about the paper you choose before you start your drawing project.
Feeling like a freak on a leash.
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:27 am

Okay and for the second question about shading with color pencils since your scales are so small and you drew them with graphite. The graphite will smear into the color pencil try it on a separate piece of paper to see what I talking about. (The ink will take care of the graphite.) The best way to achieve the scales with color pencil is to use a battery operated eraser. I just found this out a few days ago. Only because I'm doing a color pencil of a fish. I found that the easiest way to do scales was to draw the outline. Color the whole section in and use a battery operated eraser to make small circles then go over them lightly with a darker color to make them pop out like scales.

The darker colors will stick to the wax from the lines. Hope this helps.
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:29 am

You are amazing Booters! Thanks. So I guess what I am going to do for the dragon is ink it with indian ink(which I already baught a couple of nights ago to make the inking pictures.) and I will use color pencil. I feel I am still in the enhancing of drawing skills for now. I have a couple more exercises to do and then I am completed. I should then look into what your talking about with the different type of papers. Now I went to Michaels the other day and I have not seen this electric eraser. I guess I will just have to google it. Thanks again Booters and Russ. I appreciate both of you for the advice you have given me. =D> :D :) :mrgreen:
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:39 am

Michael's never been to one. I shop at Hobby Lobby. They have a very large selection of drawing stuff and a online store.
If you have a Michael's then you should have a Hobby Lobby
Battery operated eraser.
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=173484
Price: $12.99
Mine goes there aaa battery's like its free :( Also if you want a point on the eraser just hold it on you sandpaper pad ( that block of sandpaper sheets that you get with some pencil set) It's real use is to sharpen your pencils with but it cleans your stumps too.

What papers do what...
Since your starting out and until you get a feel for the paper your using use bristol.
If your going to draw you use Bristol paper its about as think as poster board. Holds the graphite and doesn't fall apart under the pressure from your pencil.
You can ink with it, you can acrylic paint on it and you can use makers on it. Its cheap. They have it at walmart.

Bristol Velum is way too smooth for me and cost a bit more. Some folk love it. It blends like a dream but I spent more time keeping my drawing clean then drawing.
Watercolor paper you can acrylic paint on. Ink wash on. Draw on. Watercolor on.
Illustration board you can do anything on To me its the shizzle of things to use! Thick as canvas... But one sheet is about $3.00 depends on the size If your going to ink and wash more or less is a ink watercolor you only use ink nothing else.

I hope all this helps you instead of confusing you. IF you have any Question I will help. :)
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:41 am

Your last post helped me out a lot booters. I do beleive there is a hobby lobby around so I will check it out. I will also look into paper a bit more later on. right now I am using this sketch book that I bought from barnes and noble. So that is the type of paper I am using. I am working on this grim reaper as of now on water color paper. Which I made a boo boo on because instead of using water color pencils I am using just regular cheap color pencils. But I am going to finish it and display it anyway. It is my creation after all. As for the dragon I think I am going to sit on it for a while. Just do a little at a time. I need to buy a #1 script brush so I can ink the scales. That will take me forever and a day I am sure so I will do it little at a time. By that time I should be good at blending, water coloring or whatever else I need to be good at. Thanks again.
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:36 am

Many things You can buy one what is called a Rapidograph pens and they are made for india ink and to be refilled as long as you take care of them they last forever. They are a onetime buy.
They also make others like them. You can use a fountain pen a crow quill pen with different tip points.
Anything that you can get to hold ink.
You can use any (Laugh) birds feather back in the day old folks had to write too I think ink came before what we call pencils but god for bid don't you paint each scale.

hmm water color pencils to me are for watercolors Iv'e used both and for both things and seen no difference. Until you spray your drawing and see your water colors running.
I am using cheap color pencils just like you so no boo boo. But I'm like you guys I learn as i go.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:50 pm

I'll bump up a paper guide i listed a while ago,It's useful.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:31 pm

I already started using color pencil on my latest drawing. I will start inking my dragon here soon. I am also starting on my next exercise in the book which is 3 free hand portraits. One of each view. Of course I will probably do more then one of each for practice but it should be fun. Then on to practice value and perception.
PreviousNext

Return to Drawings