Bela Lugosi

Moderator: duey

<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Bela Lugosi

Well I have started a new drawing. I am hoping to stick with this one. The past few drawings I have started I have just stopped and not come back to them because I didn't like how they were going. I would like to do a Universal Monsters series of portraits. I want to start with Bela Lugosi as Dracula. All I have done so far is the basic outline but would like some advice on things I should and shouldn't do before I get started.

Here is my reference picture. It is someone elses drawing that was done with colored pencils. I asked permission before I started drawing. I attempted the colored pencils version and realized it was too much for me so I decided to start over and just stick with pencils.

I guess the things I need advice and help with is understanding how to create the wrinkles in the forehead. I had the hardest time with that in the colored pencil version and its the main reason why I stopped. I will be sure to post more of my work up as I get going. Right now I just have my grid lines and his head outlined so its not much to show.

Thanks for looking and the advice,

-Caitlin

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Bela Lugosi

Caitlin,plot all the main dimensions (eyes,nose,eyebrow,hairline and lips)give these a darker colour ie 2b,then plot all your highlights and leave these areas fairly clean.When plotting areas only use a light pencil and touch.
Start off by laying down a foundation (h2 or h) hold the pencil at the far end on its side and lightly cover,just use the weight of the pencil to colour.Gradually build shades where necessary and use a shaped eraser to pull out highlights.That is what those wrinkles are,foundation and then highlights.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:34 pm

Re: Bela Lugosi

Thank you Russ. So are you saying I should draw out the eyes, mouth, and nose first. Normally when I do portraits (not that Ive done many) I pick a point and just go from there. Maybe I should try something new since what I am doing isn't working so well lol. Ill take your advice and go from there and hopefully in the next few days I will have some progress pictures up.

Return to Drawings