[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Mandela Portrait - WIP
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mandela Portrait - WIP

Moderator: duey

<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Re: Mandela Portrait - WIP

<<

thearne76

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:17 pm

[/quote]

I studied the picture I wanted to do for about 15 minutes before I started drawing. Just looked at it and saw the shadows and stuff but I just can't get the detail in and I also can't get the dark tones that everyone else can seem to achieve. My drawings just don't come out that dark and I feel like that is something that helps.[/quote]

Great Picture OP.

The easiest thing to do is what was stated before regarding drawing what you see and not what you think you should be drawing. Especially in grid situations you can break a confusing area down into shapes and value. You dont have to tune out the overall picture but try to analyze the surrounding area for tone and countour to keep things consistent.
<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:11 pm

An Update Guys...

Astro...you seem amazed at the texture of the skin on this, so let me be honest....it's really just normal shading, the catch is the texture of the paper that I'm drawing on. I couldn't get a really smooth shading even if I wanted to :wink:

Now for the difficuly part...the hair!!!
<<

Taylor74

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:07 am

Simply Awesome!!!!
<<

Watcher

Amateur
Amateur

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Oh wow. That's looking very nice.

Good job!
<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:15 am

Really struggling with the hair!!
I know once i've covered the full head of hair I can get an overall view of it and be able to fix and blend it...

<<

dustboy76

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:51 pm

great shadework and contrast.
http://dustboy76.deviantart.com/

Feel free to check out my drawings.
<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:27 am

A bit more hair done...is it looking more believable? :?

<<

93fox

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:15 pm

It looks very good Adrian. Would you mind posting the reference picture you are using? I feel that the face needs more values. Are these scans or pictures? because scanners sometime change the values of the drawing completely.
<<

Watcher

Amateur
Amateur

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:52 am

It's looking beautiful. Good job.
<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:44 am

Re: Mandela Portrait Finished

Finally finished...all in all it probably took me about 30 hours (but thats just a guess).
Here's the reference as well as the finished drawing...(not the best lighting but you get the picture :wink: )
Reference....

Drawing...

<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:33 am

I think your drawing looks better than the original photo! A great portrait, very well done.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:44 am

Adrian,what can we say?
That is one picture not many would have attempted,fantastic staying power and Artwork mate!!! =D>
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Margareta

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:50 am

<<

kardos.tamas

Pro
Pro

Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:28 pm

Far more detail on the drawing that on the photo itself! Truly amazing...congrats!
Drawing is giving a performance; an artist is an actor who is not limited by the body, only by his ability and, perhaps, experience.
Previous

Return to Drawings