[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Mandela Portrait - WIP
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mandela Portrait - WIP

Moderator: duey

<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:32 pm

Mandela Portrait - WIP

Hi All,

Haven't been around for a while, but have popped in occasionally to see the work entered, and always a pleasure to do seeing the improvements of peoples work.
I usually do wildlife, but I thought let me try a portrait of a famous person, and because I'm from South Africa, I thought I'd draw Nelson Mandela.
Here's the start of it.
It's on 200gsm Heavy Duty Paper, and the size is A2 (about 420 X 580mm).
I've used between 6B and 2B pencils so far.
Let me know what you think plse.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/img4542p.jpg/

<<

Brendan

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:38 pm

Re: Mandela Portrait - WIP

A nice start Adrian ..
Who's next, F. W. de Klerk ?? :mrgreen:
<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:43 am

Hehehe, funny one Brendan...don't think so ;o)
<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Here's an update...going a bit slow as I haven't had much time to work on it...

<<

Watcher

Amateur
Amateur

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Any reason why you start at the bottom of the picture and work up?

I would think it would be harder to prevent smudging that way.
<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:12 pm

I fully agree with you Watcher, and I don't usually start my drawings at the bottom of the page...I guess this time I was just led that way. I can always just turn the paper around and draw upside down to prevent smudging. I also use a blank sheet of A4 paper under my drawing hand to prevent smudging ;o)
<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Here's an update with a bit more done.....

<<

ajcurly

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:41 am

The texture on his jacket is awesome! Is that circulism or what technique? :D
<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:50 am

Ajcury....the technique on the jacket is circular shading, but nothing magic to it really, it's actually just the texture of the paper. :wink:

Here's an update...

<<

ajcurly

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:52 am

Looking good! :D
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:11 pm

Always in awe.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:39 am

Excellent!
Feeling like a freak on a leash.
<<

adrianwells

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks for the Compliments Guys...the latest

<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:24 pm

This just blows me away.
I am doing a portrait right now and I just can't understand how people like you get that texture in the skin. It amazes me and I can't figure out how to do it.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
Next

Return to Drawings