[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Start Again? Forth Rail Bridge
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Start Again? Forth Rail Bridge

Moderator: duey

<<

deek5a

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:53 am

Start Again? Forth Rail Bridge

Having not drawn for around 10 years I had planned to MAKE myself start again by offering a drawing to my mum as a present as she grew up in South Queensferry I chose a reference of the forth rail bridge... I told her i'd do it for her Christmas 2010.. So after starting it last week :roll: I used a couple of techniques old pencils and basic paper to make a start. I then got railroaded with inspiration for a car portrait... http://dueysdrawings.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8888.

REF

My question do I continue with this piece as it is (Folds in paper.. non grided.. Started at wrong side.. Poor paper quality.. work so far in basic graphite quality) or do I start again.

If you say start again can you please recommend a paper type to me as I am clueless about paper.

Any input would be marvelous
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Start Again? Forth Rail Bridge

Sorry mate start again.
http://dueysdrawings.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8912
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

deek5a

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:50 am

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:17 am

Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Helen

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:42 am

I use Strathmore Bristol board. Sometimes hotpress watercolor paper 140 lb.

I like what you've completed so far. It will look great on better paper 8)
<<

i prefer nintendo 2 girls

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:46 am

I love strathmore paper, but it can be hard to find in the UK, so I now use Goldline which is as good.

I use Goldline Bristol Board 220gsm, make sure it's sealed when you buy it as it picks up grease so easily. I always draw with paper under my arm to keep it fresh.

The graphite I use is Pental AIN in my mechanical pencils. Its really nice and non 'waxy'. I use Derwent pencils otherwise.

As for gridding, that's down to how you prefer to work and how accurate you can Mark out. I don't grid, I personally find the grid distracting. There is no right or wrong, better or worse method.

If you were concerned you started in the wrong place, you could turn your paper around and draw portrait. However as it's on creased paper I would start over. Use this one as a trail and practice on it.

Hope you come back with a new WIP I'd love to see it.
David.
<<

deek5a

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks for the input everybody...

Went out yesterday and bought some Goldline A3 Bristol Board and some mechanical pencils 0.3 and 0.5.. I've gridded and started sketching really feels strange.. Will get a better idea of how i like the paper when i start shading i suppose..

The WIP will not be from this reference as I didn't feel very inspired to draw the same picture again.. The new pic is much more complex (possibly too much for A3) but we shall see how it goes.

Again thanks for the input everybody.. =D>
<<

Kirby

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:21 pm

Wow! What you got drawn without a grid looks amazing! I'm hopeless without one.
As for paper, my main concern is how think it is. I can't stand trying to draw or erase on paper that buckles and wrinkles. That doesn't mean it has to be expensive paper though. I've drawn some of my best drawings in a cheap Academie Wirebound Heavyweight Paper Sketch Book which has 70 pages and I bought it for around 5 dollars at my local Walmart a few years ago.
However, my favorite paper I have ever tried would be Bristol Smooth, 100 lb. and the brand I have is Studio 71.

Sorry for my paper ramblings,
I hope your new drawing goes very well! :D
<<

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 am

Are you turing your ref to black and white to draw from?
David.
<<

deek5a

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:08 am

<<

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:38 pm

sounds like a good mehtod :)