[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Just finished..
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Just finished..

Moderator: duey

<<

Shehany

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:50 pm

Just finished..

I struggeld with this one a lot. Not enough dark parts, too much blending... Anyway, I think I did all I could do and the impression is ok. The size is A3 and I used graphite pensil plus charcoal. Because of the blending the paper started to get a bit scruffy so I stopped. It's paper for watercolor paintings (cheap stuff :? )Please, some advise for my next drawing. Thx!

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/29092011294.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Never look down on someone unless you are helping him up
<<

Shehany

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Just finished..

BTW it's the statue of The Angel of Grief in Rome. Lovely but sad story. The man who made this out of marble was a sculpturer and he lost his beautifull wife. After her death he started working on this and he putted all his grief in this statue. I think a good way to deal with loss. Just get a hammer and a block of solid marble :)
<<

ShawnaCT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:24 pm

the story and the art are both impressive. very nice rendering. looks as though a few of your darks, could be a bit darker for added depth. but stunning non the less.
cheers
shawna
with my head firmly in the clouds, i let my pencils sing and dance.
live well, love much ,smile often
<<

93fox

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:32 pm

i really like it! a Few darker spots to add depth would of worked great! but i really like it. As far as the paper goes i use nothing but watercolor paper as well. but i use this one http://www.dickblick.com/products/fabriano-artistico-extra-white-watercolor-block/ hot press! i love this paper, its soooo smooth and the drawings just look awesome. The keith richards one you commented on is being done in this paper. Also, what are you using to blend?
<<

Shehany

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:38 pm

Thx for the comments! I blend with tissue paper and some kind of cloth (microfiber). The paper is very very cheap and not white, more yellowish, it a bit cotton-like as well. But I thought, what the hack, I will just try this and maybe get better stuff later (when I'am rich :D ).
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:48 pm

Shame about the paper,there has been many discussions on here about what paper suits what,something we all have struggled with.Really like this and it has a marble/stone 'feel' about it.Don't be too discouraged,you are learning..as we all are.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

93fox

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:49 pm

<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:09 pm

Personally, I would have used strathmore Bristol smooth for this piece, and created the marble effect using just my pencil.
None the less, this is an amazing drawing, really well done. :)

<<

Shehany

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:26 pm

thanks a lot for all the comments and advise, I will definately keep that in mind. I just want to be better and better :D
<<

Kirby

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:22 am

I love this drawing and think it's very good just the way it is. I also understand the never being completely satisfied with the result of a drawing, but I guess that's just why practice to try and improve :)
<<

nonso

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:39 pm

nice work.you can do better.dont blend to the extent of scratching your paper.it looks like a sculpture work.
<<

Dreaddinit

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:55 pm

I agree with larc. The paper can mean a lot. It helps with the look your trying to achieve and can't with other papers this is fantastic though. I think at this point if you continue to play with it you might not be able to reverse it. You did get the feel of it all no matter how hard. Awesome work.
<<

jan

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:31 pm

I think the rendering is great even if you arent happy with it, even though it is greyish there is still a nice contrast to the piece, but of course if it isnt how you intended. Im wondering how you didnt get the darks dark enough if you used charcoal? Anyway someone suggested bristol board, well bristol board is a great drawing surface but its hard and smooth so it doesnt take graphite as well as maybe a a softer paper. Sketching paper comes in so many varietes so its hard to say a specific one to go for.

You could try cold-pressed drawing paper, it is less smooth but is toothy so graphite and charcoal should stick to it more. But check that it isnt so toothed that the texture of the paper comes through your shading.

Anyway, really nice drawing.

Return to Drawings