[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - New Portrait *help needed*
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New Portrait *help needed*

Moderator: duey

<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:02 pm

New Portrait *help needed*

As always I wait until the last minute to do things. My moms birthday is this Thursday and she has been bugging me to draw her something for a while now so the idea popped in my head two days ago to try and draw a picture that my mom and I took together back in 1997. I started it last night and I am just having some trouble with the teeth mainly. Anyone have any tips for me? I know its not much to go off of but does my drawing even look like the photo?

<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: New Portrait *help needed*

It is an OK start, but the teeth appear to have too larger gaps in them.
I tend to draw the gaps and shadows between the teeth, as accurate as possible, that way the teeth just appear on their own.
Then I attempt to shade and highlight the teeth, giving them form.
I hope that makes sense. :)

<<

ShawnaCT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:42 pm

looks like a great start. teeth can be a huge pain. its tough to draw the contours and make them not look flat. mainly when i have done them ive found that shadeing the edges help to give that rounded illusion. try to take your time with it. and if one thing is bugging you to much. hold off on it and work on a differant section a bit. or take a few min brake and give it a go with fresh eyes.
best advice i can prolly give, is mind your gaps between the teeth.
you have a great start to work with. dont give up. she will love it.
shawna
:D
with my head firmly in the clouds, i let my pencils sing and dance.
live well, love much ,smile often
<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:28 pm

<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Re: New Portrait *finished*

I finished my Moms birthday present early this morning. Staid up late trying to get it done. My mom loved it of course, but I could of drew stick figures and she would of loved it. This is my second portrait. It's my first portrait using people though. I sorta messed up with my moms hair though. She had long curly hair and I couldn't really capture it. Just takes practice I suppose. Also the teeth I had a hard time with and hands. I would appreciate any comments or advice you guys would have for me. Thanks for looking.

*Sorry for the quality of the picture, I took it with my phone*

-Caitlin

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Caitlin,It's a wonderful present,be proud and try to be more confident.
You need to study this and understand your weak points,then try another...You'll get there :D
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:59 pm

<<

paola

Pro
Pro

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:21 am

Hi, it is a lovely drawing, also the concept of it.. I would suggest you try to read some tutorials on shading and other techniques ..also gridding might be helpful .. all you need to know is technique...then you´ll have no problem to draw teeth or even hair :-) good luck
<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:51 pm

<<

jan

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:59 pm

The drawing itself looks really great in my opinion, with beautiful expression. Since we are meant to critique here, all i havt to say on that front really is I would try to keep it a bit more uniform - right now the eyes are much more detailed and sharp than the rest of the drawing and stand out a bit too much. I would make the rest of the drawing a bit stronger and that should fix it.
<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:59 am

<<

zac97

Pro
Pro

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:27 am

hairsmthe hardest part
new name but same ole zach97
my da
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:54 am

<<

ShawnaCT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:29 am

i think he means keeping hair smooth... that or he wants a hair smoothie?
with my head firmly in the clouds, i let my pencils sing and dance.
live well, love much ,smile often
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:38 pm

Next

Return to Drawings