[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - My first portrait.
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

My first portrait.

Moderator: duey

<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:34 pm

My first portrait.

I decided I would try and draw this dog last night just to see if I could do it. It took me about 9 and a half hours to do and I staid up until 6am doing it. That is one of my problems when drawing. I can't stop until its finished. I am happy with the outcome but I know I still have some things I need to work on. I can't seem to get the hair right. In the reference photo it looks so soft and real and mine just looks rough. I also had a lot of trouble with the mouth area and I couldn't figure out how to get the whiskers in. This was my first time using a grid, and I found it very helpful. Thank you for looking and any advice I could gladly appreciate.

-Caitlin

<<

ShawnaCT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Re: My first portrait.

not bad.
as a sugestion, i'd say take your time.
looks like maybe some of the shadeing/blending might have been rushed. animal hair can be extreamly chalengeing and its a damn good go for a first try.
:D
shawna
with my head firmly in the clouds, i let my pencils sing and dance.
live well, love much ,smile often
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:54 pm

I agree with Shawna, take you time and you will see a great improvement, but for you 1st effort...fantastic job. :)

<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Thank you for the compliments and advice.
I know I need to slow down and take my time with things.
I just get so caught up in it and before I know it, hours and hours have passed.
<<

nonso

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:17 pm

darker shades would help.keep it up.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:58 pm

Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

GordieKerr

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:37 pm

I would go lighter on the grid lines. I always wonder why people draw grid lines where theyre not required
<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice.
<<

zac97

Pro
Pro

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:26 pm

looks great and sorry bout the late reply just lookin at the stuff i missedd when i was gone
new name but same ole zach97
my da
<<

ShawnaCT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:34 pm

zac u slacker! [-X
see what u get for takein time off.. :lol:
<<

zac97

Pro
Pro

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:35 pm

a new name and a couple hundred missed posts #-o :cry:
new name but same ole zach97
my da
<<

ShawnaCT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:38 pm

read/post faster! lol
<<

jazzman147

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:30 am

Really good for a fiftieth attempt never mind a first, the likeness is excellent. The outline stage looks bang on, and the only criticism I'd have is that the fur looks a little rushed and bland. After all the detail has been done it looks like you got a bit fed up.
Try to stay focused and patient, take your time and have breaks from the drawing to reinvigorate yourself.

Out of interest what book are you working from cause I'm sure I've seen that drawing before? :?
<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:30 pm

<<

Dreaddinit

Amateur
Amateur

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:02 pm

It does look good but I think the best information I ever got about drawing was layers. Layer, smooth, erase, repeat. it helps give you a solid base that you can build on. Using a kneaded eraser in the direction the hair goes and then adding more pencil. That's it in a nutshell really. It will take some time but is very rewarding. If you'd like me to elaborate further I can. Looks really good though for a first.
Next

Return to Drawings