[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Honest Critique Please
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Honest Critique Please

Moderator: duey

<<

M_Trotter

Brand New Member

Post Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Honest Critique Please

Hello all. My name is Mike and I would like an honest critique of my drawings. Everyone who has seen my work are non-artists and wouldn't be honest anyway (family). I have been drawing on occasion for about four years and have learned the few skills I have from a couple of books and online tutorials.

Thanks in advance...

http://imgur.com/V8T0C
Last edited by M_Trotter on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:39 am

Re: Honest Critique Please

hmm....Okay I dont want you to take this wrong but if your serious I will explain so I dont sound like Im being mean.
I will not pick apart your drawing because you tried most wont even do that. I want you to look at it and tell me what is wrong with it. You know its rather off but its not bad nor is it good.
Many good tutorials are on this site to explain what to use and how to use them.
learn to grid it will help you get the locations eyes brows lips ect....
learn to blend blending is 90% of most drawings tones hues ect...
Use the right kind of paper. Any kind of sketch pad or bristol paper is a must. bristol is the best.

if you need any help I can help you only if your serious. IT takes time to learn the basics.
Feeling like a freak on a leash.
<<

ajcurly

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:17 am

Booters is spot on here. Assuming you used a reference photo you should use a grid to get the human shape correct. If you don't want to use a grid then you are looking at a lifetime of studying the human form. You could get it down in 1 year or 10 depends how well you are gifted. :D Learn how light hits an object and the shadows they produce. See that there are 50 different shades from black to white.....not 2. Going through all the tutorials is going to change your drawings! Good luck. :D
<<

M_Trotter

Brand New Member

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:23 am

Thank you both for your thoughts and don't worry about me taking anything wrong. I asked for honesty; that's the only way I can improve.

As for paper, I used Canson Classic Cream Drawing 90LB Heavy Weight. For blending, I used q-tips, tissues, and a tortillion for small areas. I did grid the drawing.

Here is the reference photo with my line drawing superimposed over it:

The relationship between the eyes, nose, and mouth seem to be on. I see that I am a little off around the top of the head and the left shoulder. Is this what you are seeing as being off?

As far as my blending, I have a difficult time achieving the smoothness that I see in other people's work. I have used different smoothnesses of paper (including bristol) but alway seem to get a scratchy look to it. The common denominator is that I've been using the same brand of pencils.

Does pencil quality make a big difference?
Do you think maybe I use to heavy of a hand when laying down the graphite?

Looking at it again, I think that there is not enough shadow on the left side of the face, under the nose, and chin. Also, there do appear to be very few values particularly on the right side of the drawing.

I have worked through many tutorials on other sites and in books. I will work on the ones here.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:00 am

You have a very good start here you can still fix this drawing. Your blending is whats making it off. In the right eye make the pupil black like the other eye darker lashes and put the highlight and outline. Fix the nose mine is far from right but it will give you an Idea and lighten him up a little more like this If I had more time I could make this look better and don't be upset that messed around with your drawing in photoshop but I would have been forever explaining it.Image

No there is no too heavy of a hand pencils are pencils. I start all drawings with a no 2 pencil lead in a mechanical pencil nothing special. As you will see if you do the blending thing below. You will see each pencil will give you a different tone. I use stumps & facial pad for my blending. I use tortillions only for details. I start light and make it darker as I go. But I draw blacks as blacks many here don't.

This is the best way to explain how to blend use any piece of paper for this. Use all your pencils h1 h2 h3 h4 h5 h6 b1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7 b8 b9 and make a row from top to bottom using each pencil just make black lines about 1/4 x 2 the size doesn't really mater.
Do you have any cotton? a piece of an old soft white t shirt, facial pad that you clean your face with round or square work the best for me. Cotton balls you can't control. Q tips are o k for small areas.
Okay take the cotton and rub all the lines till they are tones.
Go up and down threw all the lines go to and fro.
I know it seems like a bunch of bull I know. Now look at it see how all the pencil lines are gone. This is what you want when drawing tones & hues. You get it by pulling graphite with the cotton. I hope this helps you is some way.
We will all help if you want:)
Feeling like a freak on a leash.
<<

M_Trotter

Brand New Member

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:36 am

Thank you so much. You photoshopping this really helped me see what it needs.

I see how 3 dimensional the bridge of the nose is now. The smoothing of the values really adds to the overall realism too.
Unfortunately, I won't be fixing this one as I have already used fixative on it. I will try to improve upon my next one and post it to the board.

I will try your exercise below too.
<<

ajcurly

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:35 pm

Great explanation Booters! Yah, just listen to booters!
<<

Plissken

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:35 pm

He is so sweet.
See my drawings and digital paintings now!!!

Or else, drunk Mel Gibson will come to your house and beat you up!

Return to Drawings