[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Finished drawing
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Finished drawing

Moderator: duey

<<

Michael

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:08 pm

Finished drawing

Here's a piece that I just recently finished for a friend. I definitely should of made it darker (you might have to tilt your monitor a bit lol). Oh well, I'll be sure to focus on that for my next project.

I do have a question, though. My finished pieces always seems to be missing that crisp, sharp, and smooth look that so many elite artists almost always achieve. For example, the hair on this piece is quite smooth but it's quite lacking in detail. It almost looks flat... Is there a specific method or technique required to achieve this type of quality, or is this just something that comes naturally with practice? I hope that all makes sense lol... Anyways, thanks for checking out my drawing!

<<

ajcurly

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Re: Finished drawing

In one word yes....it just takes a lot of practice and then more practice. It is a fine drawing, you should be proud. Can I ask how many hours and what size it is. I typically spend about 20 hours on an 8x11...but I am a little slow...lol The crispness is the technique involved. Hair is all about layers and not aiming to draw every hair. Practice until you find what technique works for you. Darker hair requires a different technique than light hair. Pretty vague info...I know, but you'll discover what works and what doesn't. Keep up the drawing!
<<

Michael

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Thanks for the response! You answered my question quite well :)

I drew this on an 8x11 pad, and I would say that it took me around 20 hours to complete. I'm a bit slow also, but I'm definitely getting faster with each piece that I finish.

When your drawing hair, how do you approach it?

When I'm drawing the hair, I begin by lightly outlining all of the hair. I then identify and outline all the dark tones, mid tones, and highlights that I can find. After that's all done, I begin to lay down graphite over the dark tones, while also being sure to follow the flow of the hair. Then I begin to blend the dark tones into the mid tones, and then I lightly blend the mid tones into the highlights. I usually end up repeating this process a few times. Lastly, I finish up the hair by pulling out some flyaway hairs and prominent highlights. I think my problem lies within the way I lay down the graphite. I just seem to have a hard time finding that sweet spot. I either lay down to much graphite, resulting in a chunky and heavy look, or to little, resulting in a soft and flat look. But like you stated earlier, I just have to keep drawing and keep refining my techniques until I find what works, and that's what I plan to do :).
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:57 pm

aj gave you good advice there Michael,also everything else can cause problems like the standard of paper and the pencils you use,although this is not always strictly true,again,it's mostly down to patience and practice.
Your picture lacks depth,that's your problem,invest in some pencils that go up to 9b (v dark) and then you will see the tonal range will breathe some life into your Art.
Love the Artwork but you will get better,trust me :wink:
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Michael

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks for the advice. You're definitely right about me needing to go darker. I will be sure to do that for my next drawing :)
<<

bravoc-88

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Great work, your proportions seem to be spot on. You just need a bit of practice with hair, it can be daunting for sure but using darker lead will help get a greater tonal range.
~"The act of drawing alone makes you an artist..."~ Nick Meglin

http://bravoc-88.deviantart.com/gallery/
<<

conty

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:14 pm

without reading the other comments i immediatly thought 'your afraid of the darks' when you first go dark its scarie but you have to just go for it and trust that its the right thing to do, your drawing is great, just practice on your light and darks, but over all its a good peice =D>

Return to Drawings