[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - *FINISHED* Darn hair project WIP
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

*FINISHED* Darn hair project WIP

Moderator: duey

<<

nonstoptaxi

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:43 pm

*FINISHED* Darn hair project WIP

Hi guys,
in an attempt to try to improve my hair drawing skills, I'm doing this WIP - thought I might as well do something complex. I appear to have developed a certain approach to drawing hair and don't seem to be able to do adopt another approach. Does the end product look like real hair or does the product look rather unrefined? Thanks!
Last edited by nonstoptaxi on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Darn hair project WIP

At current I'm going to have to say it looks unrefined. The hair has no flow to it, it looks clumpy and smudged. You need to try to get some lines flowing (but don't draw every single individual strand of hair). You can go from dark to light, or vice versa, but either way you need to be following the flow of the hair with your pencil strokes, starting at the top (roots) of the hair and then moving downwards toward the tips. Long, even strokes, steady pressure. No smudging, no "back and forth" pencil strokes like you'd normally do. That should help.
Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

Brendan

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Avoid drawing long hair "grid by grid" - or you'll end up with kinky (!) bent hair with no natural flow. :D
<<

nonstoptaxi

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:57 pm

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:05 pm

If you use consistent pressure you should be able to create a "block" of hair using multiple strokes. Each stroke will be slightly different, but that's good. You just keep adding strokes and slowly build up the area.

For getting dark hairs, the 6B-8B will be your friend. A few quick strokes with firm pressure will work wonders. The worst thing you can do on hair is over-work it. I like to go from dark to light, by adding the absolute black first you can see the range you will be working with from black to absolute white (the paper). Everything else will fall between that so it's just a matter of working from the dark to the light.
<<

nonstoptaxi

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:45 pm

...ok, here's an update. I've still not improved my hair technique...will just have to try and see how it turns out now. Really struggling with hair. I never liked doing hair! #-o

<<

mononoke

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Use long fluent marks to get the basis of the hair and then create texture, tone and highlights by varying the pressure of a "flicking" motion toward the are of a highlight. Do this on scratch paper until it looks and FEELS right. Focus on the edges of shadow and light by drawing hair strokes in those areas. The trick is not to try and draw all of the hair. The best hair is that in which the viewers mind creates the detail.

*I thought CanadianMaple's arm would be tired after flipping over all them there cars after that Canucks game!

* I had to come back to mention this. The problem I see with [most] drawings set up by a grid method is that the lines are not checked for fluency after the framework has been tediously set. For instance the eyes in your drawing. They are good but not GREAT. Your drawing is still very nice, but it seems that you could have created GREAT eyes if you checked the fluency of your lines before getting to all of the shading. Just stopping to check that things make sense overall regardless of how specific you were with your grid work is very important to a achieve a more realistic drawing. Of course, this does not apply to all lines as life does not always appear to be fluent in and of itself, now does it? :P
Great artists do not rely on talent but the countless numbers of hour practicing and honing a skill.
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:49 am

It's a tough project, hair is always difficult for me too.
I found that practicing drawing locks of hair, rather than starting a complete portrait, helped me to become more comfortable with it.
Every now and then I would find a little technique that just worked for paticular types of hair.
Then, when drawing a portrait, I would draw the hair as a project on it's own. Often starting it the next day, so as to be completely focused on just that alone.

Good luck on this one though, I'm sure it will be tough, but worth it in the end. :)

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:22 pm

<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:51 am

I think the ends of the hair look quite good. There the hair is more fluent and has the right texture. You need to get this look also in the darker and tighter parts close to her head.
<<

nonstoptaxi

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:21 pm

OMG...it's only taken me over a year to repost an update! Actually I've given up on drawing because I lost all momentum. As you can see, no improvement on the hair. I really need to get back to it (I always finish off my drawings...even if it's gona take years!).

<<

stanya

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:26 pm

may be it is just the quality of upload,,but i think u may have to make the highlights in the hair a bit more brighter so it would creat more dept with the darker parts...but it looks really great,,cant wait to c it when its finished
Oh maybe I'll build my house on your cloud
Here I'm tumbling for you
Stumbling through the work that I have to do
Don't mean to harm you
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:07 pm

If this was mine i would extend the hair outwards for the whole paper,i think it would make the face look stunning nonstoptaxi :D
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

stanya

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:05 pm

russ that sounds as a really good idea, i think is well that it woul look great with the extended hair all the way
Oh maybe I'll build my house on your cloud
Here I'm tumbling for you
Stumbling through the work that I have to do
Don't mean to harm you
<<

nonstoptaxi

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks stanya and russ... I dunno what it is but I've lost my passion for drawing when before I used to draw on the evenings and weekends and couldn't wait to get back to my drawings. Maybe work is taking too much outta me, but I really want to improve and want to move over to coloured crayons and then acrylic paints eventually. Nothing beats seeing a white piece of paper get worked on to reveal a drawing or painting by your own hand.

I'm so far away from doing that at the moment though. Like writer's block I have drawer's block I think! #-o

I'll post the finished thing in the next few days!
Next

Return to Drawings