[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - skull, noose, eye, and buddha
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

skull, noose, eye, and buddha

Moderator: duey

<<

Lilith Dee

Brand New Member

Post Mon May 23, 2011 1:49 pm

skull, noose, eye, and buddha

These are four of the first drawings I've done in the last couple of months. I've been sketching and doodling and practicing lots, but these are the closest to 'finished pieces' I've done that I'm at least somewhat proud of.

Skull, Noose, and Eye are just mechanical pencil on printer paper. Buddha is pencils 4H-8B, white charcoal and white conte crayon. For him I was trying to figure out what kinds of whites I could get by doing different things - the whites around his nose/cheeks annoy me because they don't appear to 'shine' like the whites above his eyelids.

As for the noose, I drew it after reading Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - if anybody has read that book they'd understand why it could inspire such a morbid object as something to focus on. If not, one of the songs that is very important within the story is called The Hanging Tree about a man who's been hung and is calling for his love to join him. It's all about revolution and dying unjustly in a world where everything's complete chaos. I plan on using a noose as a border for future drawings that are inspired by this book.

I also have a question about blacks/super dark areas on drawings: how do you get an even layer of black/near black with graphite pencils? As you can see below, I ended up with either scratchy or kind of dull results.

These are basically my first real attempts at drawing, like, ever - so be critical! I want to know what's wrong with them and would love some tips on how to not make those mistakes in the future. Thank you!

-Dee

<<

zach97

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon May 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: skull, noose, eye, and buddha

i think that your paper is either rouph or you mihgt need to blend but the shading is spot on :D
my da
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon May 23, 2011 5:37 pm

Hello Dee,I think you need to give yourself a chance and get some better drawing paper,love the noose.
When you buy,then i would suggest using one page to try different doodles,lights and mid-tones and verging on black,try blending and wiping and laying down darker graphite's and repeating the process again and again.You will need dry cotton face wipes (make-up ones) and blending stumps.Get yourself a fairly decent weight of paper (100lb+),so it can be worked a bit.
Stay away from harsh outlines if possible.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon May 23, 2011 9:51 pm

These being your first drawings, I would say Fantastic effort. =D>
Each, very different subjects, needing differing techniques.
All I will say is keep practicing, you obviously have a talent and will learn what works and does'nt work as time goes on.
Better paper, pencils and other tools will improve your work, but keep posting here and you will improve your skill level too.
Hope to see more from you when you visit your parents next time. :)

Return to Drawings