[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Family portrait WIP
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Family portrait WIP

Moderator: duey

<<

jazzman147

Post Wed May 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Family portrait WIP

Well since I didn't do too bad with my first portrait, I decided to try drawing my wife and daughter ( I definitely need to be flattering with this one!!!).

I've only just started it and obviously have a long way to go, but have put some initial rough shading down and finished the outline

What do you guys think, am I on the right track, does everything look in proportion, or is there any major obstacles that you can see up ahead?

Cheers
Paul

P.S. sorry for the quality of the images I don't have a scanner and have been using my camera, there is a slight blur off hand movement it does look clearer than in the image.

Reference picture
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed May 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Family portrait WIP

I think everything at the moment looks really good,your downfall is the grid lines, far to dark and will need erasing,try and do some blending with a stump or cotton face wipes,you will be very surprised with the outcome :D
Also don't forget to put a cover over anything you are leaning on.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed May 04, 2011 6:50 pm

It looks good, but I'm a little concerned about the shadow under the girl's chin. You've drawn it really dark and without any of the detail of her neck showing, as you can see in the picture.
Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

dustboy76

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Wed May 04, 2011 10:15 pm

her eyes are spot on. look forward to seeing the updates.
http://dustboy76.deviantart.com/

Feel free to check out my drawings.
<<

jazzman147

Post Thu May 05, 2011 2:53 am

Thanks for the comments guys, the printout of the image I worked off is much darker than it looks on the screen, hence the dark beard on her chin! I have tried to lighten it a bit and show some neck as suggested here.
You're right about the grid lines too I'm struggling to erase them cleanly, I wouldn't mind but I drew them lightly with a 4H pencil, I must just be heavy handed.

Paul
<<

ajcurly

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu May 05, 2011 7:04 am

Great start. The 4h pencil may have made a groove in the tooth of the paper.....thats why it's hard to erase. I use hb and drag the pencil over the paper and yet sometime I have the same problem as you. The proportions look very good and I can't wait to see this finished.
<<

jazzman147

Post Sat May 07, 2011 4:12 am

Just posting an update.

It still needs tidying, background darkening etc.
I'm not happy with the hair or the girl on the right's mouth, she looks like she's chewing a gobstopper and I can't work out what's wrong.
Any tips for drawing natural hair?

Also do you think it's too one dimensional - not enough contrast? If so how would I rectify that.

One last thing, do you think that the paper makes a difference, as I have just ordered some bristol board but this is drawn on a cheap sketch pad.
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat May 07, 2011 11:15 am

<<

jazzman147

Post Sat May 07, 2011 11:21 am

Thank you so much, that is absolutely fantastic advice and it's a huge help.
I'll try to salvage the hair now!!

Do you not recommend blending in the hair when drawing?
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat May 07, 2011 12:07 pm

I guess that depends on what you mean by "blending". When I use the word "blending" I mean using continuous pencil strokes (not lifting the pencil) to go gradually from dark to light (moving the pencil rapidly back and forth while you gently and slowly lessen the pressure) to create a gradient. I have a feeling you might be talking about "smudging", where you lay down pencil tones and then smudge with your finger or a Q-tip or a tortillon or some other device. If you're talking about smudging, then no, I don't use smudging when I draw hair. But some people do. You just kind of have to experiment and find out what method works best for you.
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat May 07, 2011 10:03 pm

<<

paulsac

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun May 08, 2011 8:57 am

you were right about upping the contrast. especially the background, where you should probably start out with a single shade. that area under the girl on viewer's right's chin is sort of looking like cellophane is wrapped around her chin. if you keep the background all evenly dark, i think the rest of the picture will really *pop*. otherwise, it really is a great drawing! nice job.
<<

jazzman147

Post Mon May 09, 2011 11:11 am

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm going to try and practice drawing the hair by following this tutorial , it sounds like a similar technique to what you described.
I'll also try and make it pop with some darker backgrounds

I have to say this forum is really friendly and helpful thanks for making me feel so welcome.

Paul

Return to Drawings