[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Learning how to draw - my first one after two weeks
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Learning how to draw - my first one after two weeks

Moderator: duey

<<

Citrus

Brand New Member

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Learning how to draw - my first one after two weeks

I knew nothing and two weeks ago I started to read some tutorials over the internet, and yesterday I took a chance. I drew it from my mind, but I really didn't like it, even though I knew absolutely nothing on how to draw sixteen days ago.

My tool was only a mechanical pencil 0.5mm

I would be glad and pleased if anyone gives me some tips, comments on common mistakes beginners make and the like. I really want to learn how to draw well, not perfectly, but well and nice. Thanks.

<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun May 01, 2011 10:25 am

Re: Learning how to draw - my first one after two weeks

Hi Citrus,
I'm glad you have decided to delvelop your skill, and this forum is a great place place to start, so welcome. :)

Using your imagination is fine, but I think you need to use referances initialy, just to get a feel for proportions and some of the important details.
Your drawing has a few things which are just not correct, for instance, his right hand appears to be on backwards, and his left hand appears to have 6 fingers.

I would suggest starting with a simple subject, do the line drawing using a grid, and get this as accurate as posssible.
Then take your time to shade and blend exactly what you see in the ref photo.
Post the various stages, and get help as you need it.

I hope you continue to draw and post here, you can improve with help, but you need to practice practice practice.
Looking forward to seeing more from you. :)

<<

jan

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon May 02, 2011 12:28 pm

Good advice from Larc-Romeo there.

This is a book that a lot of people seem to find helpful. http://www.drawright.com/

Other than that, as long as you keep drawing you will improve, that is simply a fact, so just stick with it and keep visiting the forums - posting drawings and talking with other people about it is great especially when you feel like you are stuck and not getting anywhere.
<<

Catonia

Post Tue May 03, 2011 8:20 am

I'd recommend http://www.dragoart.com/ It's really helpful. Cap_PDT_01_27
<<

conty

Addicted
Addicted

Post Wed May 04, 2011 2:23 pm

i would use a reference photo to begin with, that way you can see yourself how close to the original you can get. if realisum is what you are trying to acheive of course.
but only draw what you really see, and not what you think you see, sometimes we draw a nose as a line as that what our brain is telling us, but in fact its only shades of light and dark shades with no lines, its just a case of mastering shading
<<

Citrus

Brand New Member

Post Sat May 07, 2011 9:35 am

Larc-Romeo, thanks for encouraging me, it's very important to me, it does matter to me. Thanks for your support.

jan, Catonia, I appreciate very much, I will see these websites. Thanks.

conty, I'll take your tips into account and try to draw more solid things by having references. Thanks.

Return to Drawings