[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - First portrait
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

First portrait

Moderator: duey

<<

jazzman147

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:07 am

First portrait

Hi
I'm in my mid thirties and have always envied people with artistic talent, my drawings looked like kindergarten affairs. About 3 weeks ago I was playing with art academy on the DS and really enjoyed it so I bought some pencils and decided to try to learn how to draw better. As I have zero experience in art, I completed the beginner course on the website drawspace, and decided to try some portraits, they are still works in progress ( I have only really concentrated on the face and shading, the hair is the next obstacle :D ) , but I would really appreciate some advice and critiques about how to improve them, such as improving the shading. Up to now though I am very impressed with myself especially as it has literally only been a couple of weeks since I have been drawing, I've really caught the drawing bug now.

Cheers and be honest

Paul
<<

ajcurly

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:03 am

Re: First portrait

Really nice start! You have some natural talent. The first thing everyone is going to tell you is start griding if you want 100% realistic portraits. A good reason to grid becomes apparent on your second drawing, HER left eye is to big and to far left and with a grid this wouldn't happen. Like I said, great start and don't put the pencils down!
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:42 am

Hi Paul,
It looks like you have used a grid, but on the second drawing you need to be more acurate with some of the outlines, and I would concentrate on the shadows that shape the nose too.

But, really I am amazed at how good these are, as you have only been drawing for a short time, so a huge WELL DONE!
Keep up the good work, and keep posting.
Hope to see a lot more from you. :)

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:09 pm

hi jazzy,You got talent...unleash the lead :D
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

jazzman147

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I did use grids for the initial outline. On the second picture I did think something was screwy with the left eye, but it's not until it's pointed out that I can now see exactly what you mean. I think that I become to engrossed in the finer details that I have missed the overall proportions. I can also see your points made about the shadows around her nose, looking at it more critically I also think that the proportions of her nose are too small.I don't think that I can amend these errors on that drawing as the eye is to darkly shaded, Also does anyone else think that I shaded her skin too dark or is that an appropriate value?

Thanks very much for all your comments.

Paul
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:03 pm

In realation to each other on the face, the values are fine, but could do with some reshaping of the contours.
If you have access to a comp & printer, convert the photo to black and white. It will make it easier to compare values.

<<

ajcurly

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:43 pm

I actually like the Clint Eastwood better.....because he's a baddass...lol. I kid......it looks better proportion wise. Like I said previously, you have talent, now you must draw to refine it.
<<

jazzman147

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks for the comments, I think I have pretty much finished with the Clint drawing now. Man I was scared before doing the hair, I was so worried I was going to screw everything up as it's my first time attempting hair, but it's not turned out too bad. I may try to improve the shirt texture but apart from little things I'm pretty happy.
How do you lot know when to stop and call the picture finished?

Cheers
Paul
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:08 pm

Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

jazzman147

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:35 am

Gotta love that line canadianmaple09, I think I'll start using it as my sig:)

I guess as the picture is still calling me I'm not quite finished.
<<

jazzman147

Post Sun May 01, 2011 5:45 am

Thanks very much for that information, how it pertains to my drawing I have no idea!!! Unless I have inadvertently made Clint appear diabetic and riddled with malignancies. My apologies to Clint if this is the case.

Return to Drawings