[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Portraits on Vinyls
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Portraits on Vinyls

Moderator: duey

<<

melissajane

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:32 am

Portraits on Vinyls

Hello all,
I've been missing in action for a while, I think the last time I was on here was in January - but I'm back.
My assignment for Uni this semester requires thinking up something, so somehow that led to me drawing a portrait of Anthony Raneri from Bayside onto a record, and my teacher loves the idea so even though I'm majoring in printmaking - this is apparently what I'm doing this semester. So; here it is.

The top of the hair is unfinished and god damn it's so shiny and won't photograph well so this was the best I could do.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:49 am

Re: Portraits on Vinyls

That must have been so difficult with the grooves,well done =D>
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

melissajane

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks! It took a bit of getting used to, I'd just start getting it to work and then it would start scratching itself off, but once I got the hang of it I started to really enjoy it. It was so different to what I'm used to because I only ever work on white paper so it was completely backwards.
<<

zach97

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:32 pm

thats pretty damn cool
my da
<<

High Elbows

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Very clever concept! I like it!
My DA...
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:46 pm

A really great idea, and well executed. well done. :)

<<

melissajane

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:01 am

Thanks so much everyone :)
I'm hoping to do approximately ten and display them on a wall with a lyric from a song, any advice as to whether they'd all look better on the same side of the vinyl [ie; to the left of centre] or would it look better if i changed it up and did 5 each?
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:24 am

Are they all going to be the same image?
<<

melissajane

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:26 am

No, they're just all going to be portraits of some of my favourite musicians.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:12 am

What about if you did a mural or one favourite using the ten discs ie whole body as a compilation of work including instruments...just a thought :D
<<

melissajane

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:15 am

Ooh, I do like that idea. I'll definitely look into it but I think I'd get frustrated at the amount of negative space, like between the records and then the large portion in the centre that pencil just won't apply to but it's a really interesting idea. I could probably fit a musician down one side, like full body and instrument.. it's all just in the experiment stage at the moment so I appreciate the ideas :)
I'm currently working on another portrait which I might post a picture of in a minute if I can get a non-horrifying photo of it :lol:

edit:
not overly flattering, but this is my iphone photo of where i'm at right now.
<<

Dreaddinit

Amateur
Amateur

Post Mon May 23, 2011 5:31 pm

This is so badass. What are you using to draw these? Can you still listen to the record or is it now done for? Please post more pics. Great job!
<<

melissajane

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:32 am

Heeeey, so.. I totally suck at keeping things updated.

I've been continuing with this whole portraits on vinyls thing though, so here's a lil update spam.

I'm really enjoying this, still learning how to work with the vinyls properly. The last photo is the one I've struggled with, the pencil stays on all of the others completely fine but rubs off of this one with the slightest touch so it's been driving me insane.
<<

ShawnaCT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:24 am

wow =D> awsome job on these you should be very proud!
i can only imagine the challenge to drawing on vinyl, the textures i would guess would be a pain. but you have done a outstanding job of it.
love the concept and the results.
bravo
shawna
with my head firmly in the clouds, i let my pencils sing and dance.
live well, love much ,smile often
<<

melissajane

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks, I really appreciate it!
I'm currently working on another one which I might post tomorrow if I can get a decent photo of it. I can't get the likeness right and it's infuriating me because I can't place the problem.
Next

Return to Drawings