[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Obi-Wan WIP (pencil)
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Obi-Wan WIP (pencil)

Moderator: duey

<<

pillharrier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:30 am

Re: Obi-Wan WIP (pencil)

I think you hit the nail on the head when you wrote 'I think I need some fresh perspectives'! Sometimes after staring at a piece of work for so long your mind starts to see it differently.
The finished piece is sublime and it looks 'exactly' like Ewan McGregor playing Obi Wan!
Posting a ref photo is helpful of course, but I think it can also point to imperfections that wouldn't get spotted (and would make no difference to the quality) otherwise.

Brilliant work.
http://pillharrier.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/markeversonpencilart
<<

jan

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:42 am

Im ont gonna sing praises for this drawing, because like everyone has said - its great. I think the lower lip is too highlighted at the moment and the beard is also rendered a bit differently than in the photo (I think someone alrdy mentioned this)
<<

zach97

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:31 pm

:o wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww
my da
<<

ajcurly

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:59 am

I'm really liking this! The nose looks much better and the skin texture is awesome! What is your skin texture technique if you don't mind me asking?
<<

StevoElSupremo

Pro
Pro

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:30 pm

awsome dude!
<<

Ecthelion

Amateur
Amateur

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:03 am

Cheers guys, thanks, @pillharrier, for saying it looks alike, it gave me some more confidence that the face is okay and I've just been looking at it the wrong way for too long. :D I'm happy with it now.

I've finally reached a point where I can call the drawing finished anytime I'm tired of refining the details. I wasn't going to post another WIP right now because I'll have the finished one up soon enough unless I make it worse again. :P

@ajcurly, of course I don't mind! I used circulism for the skin in this drawing, the first time I've used it really seriously in a drawing. I tried to avoid lines on the skin, although I did end up doing that in a few places (including the neck), but the majority of forehead, nose, and cheeks are done with tiny scribbles, layered, mostly with H or 2B. It's more time consuming but seems to give a better result. If I took even more time and care, with more, lighter, layers, I'm sure it would look better, but this took long enough as it is. :)
Ecthelion, a.k.a.
<<

meowth2k

Brand New Member

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:59 am

cool!!!
=D>
I like how you did his eyes. they look so real. I'm gonna have to really practice a lot before I'd be able to draw like that.
<<

Ecthelion

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:03 am

:D

It's finished! Here it is, but I've got a bigger version uploaded to DA...if it's not kosher to post a link, let me know, but I'm guessing it's ok: http://fav.me/d3aem6j

Thanks for the help, everyone. :)
Ecthelion, a.k.a.
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:01 am

Awesome job. :)

<<

Ecthelion

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:14 am

Cheers! Now, what should I draw next? :)
Ecthelion, a.k.a.
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:38 pm

Great drawing!
The facial hair appears to be a bit on the stylized side compared with the photo realism of the rest of the drawing, which is fine if that is what you were going for. If not, you might want to try the indenting technique for the facial hair. Only a suggestion.
My DA: http://phan-tom.deviantart.com/
Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

zach97

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:40 pm

the colored pencil was an awesome idea for this piece
my da
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:43 pm

Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

ajcurly

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:10 pm

I keep coming back to look at this piece! It's awesome. However....I know you don't want to here this but, like what was already said....the beard could use a little more work. Don't take anything I say to heart but I would want others to tell me how to improve the piece. The colored pencil is nice!....but seeing the pencil strokes takes away from the amazing photo realism you have going for your work. Maybe you could smooth out the pencil strokes in the colored pencil? Again....this is an amazing work of art!
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:16 am

Not a star wars fan... lol Excellent job! =D>
Feeling like a freak on a leash.
PreviousNext

Return to Drawings