[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Obi-Wan WIP (pencil)
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Obi-Wan WIP (pencil)

Moderator: duey

<<

Ecthelion

Amateur
Amateur

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Obi-Wan WIP (pencil)

Hey everyone, I feel a little silly popping in after a very long time, but I think I need some fresh perspectives, I've been staring at this too long to see it clearly. It's supposed to be a drawing of Ewan MacGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi, but although I'm happy with the shading and detail so far (using charcoal for the very dark areas), I just can't capture the look of Obi-Wan. I think his mouth is the problem. I've changed the mouth and the beard a few times over the last couple days, but haven't been satisfied yet. Something is wrong, and I don't know what. :( Perhaps the problem is that my ref isn't a very good one (of the actor).

I'd welcome any suggestions, criticisms. :)

Here's the WIP. The mouth is obviously in an unfinished state. I want to be sure before I add the details again. There's some glare to the right of his nose, it's darker than it appears there, I didn't notice till after I took the photo.

The ref, and other versions of Obi-Wan.
Ecthelion, a.k.a.
<<

Plissken

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Obi-Wan WIP (pencil)

This is just outstanding.
See my drawings and digital paintings now!!!

Or else, drunk Mel Gibson will come to your house and beat you up!
<<

Ecthelion

Amateur
Amateur

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Thank you. :D Think there's anything that can be done to improve it, though?
Ecthelion, a.k.a.
<<

Plissken

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Well I am far behind your pencils skills,
so I will have to disappoint you , nothing useful to criticize my friend.
Sorry. For me it looks toooooo awesome. Hardly can wait to see the finished version.
See my drawings and digital paintings now!!!

Or else, drunk Mel Gibson will come to your house and beat you up!
<<

Ecthelion

Amateur
Amateur

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks. I cropped the drawing in to the face - the full piece will hopefully be more exciting, even if it doesn't look just like Obi-Wan. :)
Ecthelion, a.k.a.
<<

nonstoptaxi

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Not that I'm as accomplished Ecthelion...as when I saw this I thought it's very good indeed. I think I've seen your work elsewhere (maybe deviantart) and think your work is ace! But in terms of constructive feedback, I think the look is fine - got the intensity in his look down right for sure. The one area is the beard...it's kinda too course - not sure what your technique is, but the hairs would be more realistic if they were finer (how you accomplish that in reality is certainly not what I can advise on!). Other than that, great stuff! :mrgreen:
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Very very good Jon :D ,My immediate reactions are...Bridge of the nose is the problem area,the shading is too straight on HIS right side..very subtle changes needed on both sides,also the charcoal going into the outsides of the eyes needs darker,lips need vertical darker lines.Hope this helps :)
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Ecthelion

Amateur
Amateur

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:03 pm

Thanks, guys! I am on deviantart, as jon-snow, perhaps you saw my drawings there, taxi. Are you on DA too?

You're right about the beard, it's been a difficult one for me, because my eraser refused to do thin lines in that area. I may have put down too much graphite underneath to start with. I'll blend it more and do my best to "soften" the hairs. Since he's got blond hair, I think I need to use more eraser than pencil to get the right look. :|

Russ, thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep them in mind when I get back to work! Just to be clear, when you say the shading is too straight - you're still talking about the bridge of the nose, right? I see what you mean... And the lips are unfinished, don't worry. :) But I don't think they're the right shape for Ewan's lips.
Ecthelion, a.k.a.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:10 pm

Yes,and the shading on HIS right side of the bridge is too dark also :)
<<

Ecthelion

Amateur
Amateur

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:12 pm

You're right, based on the picture. His LEFT side is darker in my drawing, but there's glare in the photo on that whole side. I really should have taken a better photo... :)
Ecthelion, a.k.a.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:41 pm

Jon,Don't start beating yourself up mate,once the doubt starts the flow stops :shock:
<<

caneker

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:53 pm

That's a great drawing, i think you captured his look. Looks very realistic. You just need to fix some areas.
You could work on the nose som more... There's a dark line on the left side of the nose,near the nostril on the cheek(our right), you should draw it.
I think left side of the nose completely needs to be darker, you need some depth... You need a little bit shading Inside of the eyes if you ask me, even tho they look white on the ref (: . And you should work on the right eyebrow more, to add more likeness, in the begining it should be parallel, then go up.
And highlights could be lighter.
Hope this makes sense...
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:34 am

I think you have had all the critiques needed, so I'll just say excellent work so far, looking forward to seeing it completed.:)

<<

Ecthelion

Amateur
Amateur

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:18 am

Thanks to your input, I've finished the mouth and made other small changes - I think it's much better now. Not perfect though! I welcome all suggestions. :D

Ecthelion, a.k.a.
<<

Tedy

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:12 am

Amazing... you got his face extremely accurate!
I will listen twice and then speak because that's why I have two ears and only one mouth.
Next

Return to Drawings