[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Drawings
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Drawings

Moderator: duey

<<

Asal

Post Sat May 01, 2010 9:21 am

Drawings

Hi everyone, I used to like drawing as a kid (i'd draw like goku from dragonball Z) i'm 18 now and i've recently been trying to get back into it and do portrait drawings this time. These are what i've done so far:

then:

Anyway yeah, they're of the same girl, I think I improved in the second drawing. What do you guys think? any tips for my next drawing? thanks.

EDIT: oh and yeah i was screwing around with the scanner / changing it a bit and made this on paint:

<<

Brendan

Post Sat May 01, 2010 1:15 pm

Re: Drawings

Looks good Asal ... I love playing around with drawings (digitally) after they're done. :D
<<

DanWoodier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat May 01, 2010 8:20 pm

I think you've done really well, the one thing i'd say though because i try and dabble in portraits and have done over a couple of years, i'm far from an expert i've only just grasped what i need to do properly but i'm too lazy unfortunatly to put them into practice, But yeah back to my point on the second picture you can see the lines where you've done down strokes, try to blend them with darker tones.
The best bet is to use a squared off thin paint brush, Personally i use my fingers (although it leaves grease on the paper) or try cross hatching, i have a lot of fun with that.
anyway good luck with it.
Treat others as you'd wish to be treated.
<<

Asal

Post Sat May 01, 2010 8:38 pm

ah yeah thanks, I noticed the lines too and i kept trying to go over them again lol. first i'd scan it in and the lines would show up alot more on the scan so i'd use that to judge where they were on the page... and yeah, i'm not a very patient person so i rush the shading =/ i'll try cross hatching on the 2nd one, thanks for the tip :D
<<

DanWoodier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat May 01, 2010 8:50 pm

yeah i think blending is key if you look at my new topic " Tony Montana " you'll see that i've attempted to blend, but i totally hear you when you say you're too impatiant, i'm exactly the same so i've started doing tiny portraits.
there's also a picture i uploaded that's dont in crosshatching on there aswell.
Treat others as you'd wish to be treated.
<<

Asal

Post Sat May 01, 2010 9:31 pm

i found the main tutorials on this site and they're really good, the mouth / teeth one is insane it looks so real. What do you guys use to draw? i'm studying architecture in my first year and we had to buy a 'mechanical pencil' which i've been using with 2B, HB, 2H leds and this blue tack looking rubber

for 'blending' is it ok to use a tissue?
<<

Asal

Post Mon May 03, 2010 6:46 am

i was unhappy so i re-drew the 2nd pic using the tutorial on this site "how to do a realistic face" at http://www.dueysdrawings.com/drawing_tutorial.html

i'm gonna try the step by step guide next.

also i got sick of the scanner because it showed all the flaws in the drawing so i cheated and took a photo instead :P
<<

Brendan

Post Mon May 03, 2010 10:03 am

Hmm .. a photo of a drawing of a woman taking a photo ... trippy !! 8)
<<

Asal

Post Tue May 04, 2010 6:01 am

haha i should take a photo of me holding up a print out of that photo in the mirror
<<

Asal

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:58 am

Haven't done a drawing for awhile cuz of uni but spent the last week doing this:

what do you think guys? any tips on how i can make it better?

I'm not so sure about the white around the hair but i'm worried if i shaded it into the background you couldn't see where the hair starts... maybe that would be a good thing though? :shock:
<<

DavidVeldt

Brand New Member

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:42 pm

That looks great, its amazing how much improvement you've made in just one month since your original drawing. I can see you have really grasped the tones very well with the highlights and shadows, whereas your original drawing was somewhat flat and washed out. It does look like you gave up by the time you got to her left hand (our right) and instead of looking like its bent it just looks like her fingers are chopped off. Continue using the tones you used in the rest of your picture to create the depth necessary to show a hand pointing towards the viewer.

I like the tones in her face and it looks like you got a lot better at drawing hair, it flows better and doesn't take away from the face.

This is amazing though, the progress you've shown exhibits what I always tell everyone about drawing - that they would be surprised how much improvement they can make so quickly with a little effort. I'm curious to see how much you continue to improve in the future.
<<

freedomfighter

Amateur
Amateur

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:23 pm

I like it! You definitely have your own style. About the fingers on her left hand: I can see that the outline may be accurate, it's just that there is foreshortening going on. I would just add some detail to the fingers and hand.
Check my work at
<<

kchatt

Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:06 am

Just Unbelievable

Thanks
Keshab - India
http://chattjust4u24x7.blogspot.com
<<

Asal

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:48 am

Hey guys. Its been awhile but I'm back on a new project;

... advice please [-o<

Right now I'm thinking the left eye is too low, the nose is too wide and the teeth are too big... And I need to fix the highlights in the hair. Thinking about doing this with an eraser and just trying to match the highlights with what i see more.

Anyway some advice / tips would be appreciated, and I'll update with the finished product when its done :)
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:40 am

You're still making the irises far too large. If it helps, try looking at the white parts of the eyes to judge how big the irises should be.
Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
Next

Return to Drawings