My First 3 Drawings

Moderator: duey

<<

Kieron12

Brand New Member

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:34 pm

My First 3 Drawings

Hello all.

I am new to drawing and these are my first three drawings in order from first to last... Please understand I do not have a teacher of any sort and these were done from what I know...

1)
A still life that was infront of me.

2)

Reference: http://econogirl.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/banana.jpg

3)

Reference: http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article8348409.ece/BINARY/original/pears.jpg

I decided to start with fruit as it seemed simplest...

Please advise me on what I should do to improve and learn to draw properly... Also please advise on what objects I should draw after learning to draw fruit like this...
<<

paul_H

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Re: My First 3 Drawings

Hi Kieron, nice to meet you (virtually).

I like your first drawings. All I can say initially is keep practicing and you will find a method that suits you. I'm just a hobbyist as well and I find that for more complex drawings that are done from a reference photo it might be worth gridding your photo using say, microsoft 'paint', then putting that reference grid onto your paper. This will help guide you and make sure you get all the various bits in the correct place (This works for me). I've put a couple of my pictures of work in progress up on this site. Just check them out to see what I mean.

In regards to subject matter I would just say choose things that interest you and that should ensure you stay engaged in the process. Also if you are drawing in plain graphite make sure you use the full range of hardness H5-B5; and if in colour have a good range of colour grades. This helps with getting more depth and detail into your work

Other people might have different ideas but these are just some that work for me.

Hope that helps for a start. Keep up the good work

Paul 8)
<<

Kieron12

Brand New Member

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:42 am

Thanks Paul I will continue working towards it ^^ I currently only have the standard penncils from H2 - B8... How do you use the pencils from HB down... I find they are so hard and they dont seem to smudge well when needed... Speaking of smudging what sort of tool should i get to do the smudging with? And with regards to subject of matter I am just worried that I try something to complicated and try to advance to quickly
<<

paul_H

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:30 am

...I use the harder pencils for lighter work, work you don't necessarily want to smudge. If, say, on your picture you have an area of light that works gradually into dark (like your pear) you can shade the areas in from the light area to the dark shady area gradually using different hardness's and just blend them in (You can do this with smudging or just working in a finer more targeted way). You could also use less grades but rely on the weight you're pressing down on the paper. I sometimes do that but it depends on what works for you. Like I said if you practice you should get there. Try doing the pear again but use the full range of hardness and see what it comes out like. Take your time and think about how the shading appears on the photo. I find that a really well sharpened, say, H2, will allow you to also get some really tight lines, maybe when you're coming to the end of a picture and you want to give some clarity to certain parts. Also I find that the harder pencils are good for blending in the various parts as it's not so intrusive to the picture (if that makes sense). I'm doing a colour piece at the moment and I've found that I'm using a hard sharpened H2 to blend in certain darker brown areas. It seems to be giving it more depth.

Also, start with light and work through to dark, you'll find you get more depth. I've put up my latest. You can see how I've put a grid on the paper. It's good for guiding. Also you can see I'm working from top down, left to right (I'm right handed). This stops my hand on the paper smudging what's already been done. I'm always planning a little ahead to avoid resting my hand on the coloured parts.

And for smudging I find cotton wool works for me. For large areas I use pads and for smaller more targeted areas I use cotton wool buds. I nick my partners from her makeup bag, but keep that under your hat, :lol: You can get them from the supermarkets, Boots etc

Hope that helps. Quite difficult explaining things in writing :roll:
<<

Kieron12

Brand New Member

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:59 am

Thanks ^^ I appreciate that man I drew a hand using these principles you mentioned here... I believe it turned out much better... Here is a picture taken from my phone of the finished image and the process as I did it...

Finished Image:

Process:

1) Image

2) Image

3) Image

4) Image

5) Image

6) Image

Took me 4 hours to draw it... I used H2, H, B, B2, B4, B6, B8... and used ear buds (cotton) to smudge and smooth the shading... I also decided to put a small background in it so that It would stand out more...

The Reference used: http://pose-emporium.deviantart.com/art/Hand-014-117765297

These were just taken off phone I will be uploading a better image scanned tomorrow...

Any thoughts on the results?
<<

paul_H

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:37 pm

Hey hey, instant results!! 8) Really good Kieron. You've got it fella. I think my work here is done. Keep up the good work. Paul
<<

Kieron12

Brand New Member

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:48 pm

Lol thanks Paul I appreciate the help... I hope that I can improve more lol I dont have the guts to take on massive pieces yet though :S
<<

paul_H

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:42 pm

It will come naturally. You'll progress at your own speed but on this evidence that should be quite quickly. As your confidence grows you'll start looking for things that stretch that confidence. Keep in touch, as there doesn't seem to be much conversation on this site. Have you tried 'artforums.co.uk'? Lot more chatter there.
<<

King125

Brand New Member

Post Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:02 am

Really nice dear, I would appreciate your work and wish that you should continue it in future.
<<

sarahgren88

Brand New Member

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:46 am

Really, A good and instant improvement. Even I didn't have a teacher but I learnt from video tutorials posted on Jerrysartarama or YouTube. They helped me a lot.

Hope to see more of your work here.

Return to Drawings